Debugging Cooling my Pool Using Aerator

rosensama

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2013
Austin, TX
I'm looking to lower my pool temp during peak summer heat. I've read the solutions on the Cooling a Pool wiki and have been trying the evaporator/aerator approach. Can't argue with that price and I see reports of success from others. But I'm not seeing any difference and was hoping to get some help figuring out what to change.

The aerator doesn't rise much out of the water and has 20 1/8" holes. The water shoots about six feet up and six feet out.

The weather's been pretty constant this week and so have been the results. Very few clouds, highs right around 100 and lows in the low 70's. Relative humidity peaking in the high 80s at night and dropping to mid 20s at peak heat. I've let my pump run all the time for the past few days since it wasn't clear whether this worked better at night (lower air temp for cooling) or day (lower humidity for evaporation). Water temp at 8am has been 86 and it peaks at 92. This is no different from when I don't spray the water at all.

Any suggestions for getting some benefit out of the aerator?

Thanks for the help,
Rob

Post pics of your aerator running.

I suspect the streams are too solid and you don't have enough misting falling across the pool surface.

I'm looking to lower my pool temp during peak summer heat. I've read the solutions on the Cooling a Pool wiki and have been trying the evaporator/aerator approach. Can't argue with that price and I see reports of success from others. But I'm not seeing any difference and was hoping to get some help figuring out what to change.

The aerator doesn't rise much out of the water and has 20 1/8" holes. The water shoots about six feet up and six feet out.

The weather's been pretty constant this week and so have been the results. Very few clouds, highs right around 100 and lows in the low 70's. Relative humidity peaking in the high 80s at night and dropping to mid 20s at peak heat. I've let my pump run all the time for the past few days since it wasn't clear whether this worked better at night (lower air temp for cooling) or day (lower humidity for evaporation). Water temp at 8am has been 86 and it peaks at 92. This is no different from when I don't spray the water at all.

Any suggestions for getting some benefit out of the aerator?

Thanks for the help,
Rob
My experience was very similar to yours and we ultimately ended up with a chiller, which has worked out great. When trying the PVC misters, I didn’t have the spray going as high as yours, but I think my spray was a little more fine. Something to consider: when the wind blows the spray, it can damage the surrounding landscape. I found that out the hard way.

I tried plugging my other return, which did wonders for the height (maybe 20ft), but made it impossible to land the streams in the pool. Even without a breeze something was landing on the apron or beyond. With some breeze lots of water outside the pool. I'm going to try fewer streams that don't spread as much. I'll make them thinner too. Maybe I get a gadget that let's me control how much of my other return is sealed off to help regulate height, but first I need a working pressure gauge because I'm curious how high the pressure got with one return closed and the other going through the sprayer.

It's worth another round because chillers are expensive.

@jark87 what brand and model did you buy, if you don't mind my asking.

Operating a pool without a working pressure gauge is sorta' like tying one hand behind your back.
Thanks for the advice. To be honest I don't use it much. I wind up backwashing once a month'ish. When it was working it was pretty steady. So when the OEM part broke and the first replacement stopped working within a year, it didn't feel like a battle worth fighting. But if I want to mess with the pressure for cooling, its purpose has revived.

How do you use yours that its absence would be like losing an arm?

Each time you walk by your equipment you should look at the gauge. Pump running the psi should be right where it was yesterday. If it's not, you should stop and find out why.

Each time you make a chemistry addition, your water flow should return to normal. Your gauge will tell you if it does/already has.

Turn on the pump in the AM and the pump is running but there is no flow. The gauge will tell you if there is a blockage on the pressure side or the suction side.

I could go on with many more but the (working) gauge tells you an awful lot about your pool and notifies you if something is wrong.

Reactions: jark87

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@jark87 what brand and model did you buy, if you don't mind my asking
Glacier chiller, and you’re correct - it wasn’t cheap. Total installed cost was around $3k five years ago. I looked at it like this: we had a lot invested in the pool and we weren’t getting the use out of it that we wanted to, so it was worth it to us.

I've always dreamed of my pool, it's very cool. A regular air conditioner can't cool the water? This is just my guess, I may be wrong. Air conditioners can do a lot, I recently installed a new air conditioner at home. I can't imagine the summer heat without air conditioning. I just can't stand it, I don't like the heat. I bought my air conditioner from airconservicingsingapore.com. To tell the truth, I am impressed with the service of this company.
You can contact them, perhaps they will offer you a solution for your pool. I think it's quite possible.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.