Dead Algae?

Jun 4, 2017
Golden, TX
Hi, all!
I have been working on my pool for a little over a week now. The pool was definitely a green swamp when all this began. Last week, after throwing in a couple bags of cal hypo to get rid of the green (I shocked at night and then tested the next morning) my numbers were:
FC: .5
CC: 12+ (I didn't want to waste what little tester I had left and knew I had a major problem anyway)
PH: 7.0
Alk: 150
CH: 20
CYA:90... What??? I tested this 3 times and got 90 every single time. *Note* I did use the pucks last summer, so I assumed maybe it was so high due to last season.
So, I shocked (at first 8% bleach and eventually moved to 10%) and maintained according to a 90 CYA level, which put shock level FC at 35.
A few tests later, still battling plummeting FC levels and high CC levels. I just kept adding bleach consistently, brushing, and vacuuming. Late last week and from then on, CC has consistently stayed at .5 with FC slowly dropping instead of being used up so quickly.
During all of that, I ordered a new ph, chlorine and CYA replacement kit for the k-2006 kit just because those were all from the previous season and they were running low. When I got the new test kit in, I did a CYA test and it consistently gave me results at 40. This is so confusing to me as we did not pump out water or add in new... Maybe old CYA kit was expired? Idk. Either way, I decided to trust the new CYA test kit and kept shock level at 20.

Anyway, here are my current numbers from today.
FC:10 (I added more to shock level after that result)
CC: .5
PH: 7.8
ALK:150
CH: 20
CYA: 40

Here are my issues: From the first time I shocked the green out, it has been cloudy since. I have not turned my filter off for over a week now. There aren't any leaves or anything dark on the bottom. The only time I can see the sediment is when I take my brush to the bottom there is a cloud of gray or white that forms. I assume it is dead algae, but I am clueless as to how to get it out of my pool. I'm still maintaining shock level as much as possible and I know I must still be fighting algae since there is still .5 CC consistently showing up. I read about the skimmer sock so I ordered a pack of those last night and they will be here on Monday. I'm even considering getting a vacuum with the extra fine filter in it because IDK what else to do as far as getting rid of the "sediment". Also, I'm considering putting DE in the skimmer for the sand filter. Is there anything else I can do at this point?

I feel like the filter should have cleared up some of the cloudiness by now... should I go ahead and deep clean my sand filter and then add in DE? I'm at a loss. I also should note that I have not done the overnight test yet, since my water is still cloudy.

You are on the right track. Now is time for POP - Pool Owner Patience. And those with sand filters need an extra dose. You can try the DE trick even without deep cleaning. But be very careful and only do it when you can be present. If you think the filter is channeled then do a deep clean first.

Can you vac to waste the sediment once it is settled? That can speed things up a bit too.

Thanks for the reply! I'm trying my best to stay patient. Yesterday, we vac to waste (or tried) but it caused the entire pool to get so cloudy to where I couldn't see where the sediment was anymore. I lost my patience with it, for sure. Today, oddly enough, it looks more clear than it has since all this began. I really think a small part of my problem is the vacuum. We bought the cheapo Hayward Wanda the Whale and she is very unpredictable as to whether or not she is actually working. I will keep up the fight and (hopefully) report back with a sparkling pool.

Good sign that it looks more clear today. We encourage members during a SLAM to take a picture every day in the same spot to see the changes. Sometimes it is hard to see any improvement when going by memory.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.