DE leak - ok to still run water through filter?

jark87

Silver Supporter
Jun 5, 2011
Flower Mound, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I’m getting DE flowing into my pool. It’s not a huge amount, but definitely noticeable. I’m pretty sure it’s the flex air relief assembly, as the fabric is torn on that piece, exposing a vent, which I discovered on my last cleaning. I now have the replacement part, but since I just cleaned my filter a week or so ago, I was hoping to go at least another 30 to 60 days before cleaning again. Do I risk damaging grids or anything else if I let it run awhile? I realize that a filter cleaning isn’t a major deal, but it’s my least favorite part of pool maintenance. 😕

If it sort of self heals itself then you will stop losing DE however if not, they you lose the effectiveness of having a DE filter and put more stress on your grids. I think if you continue to lose DE then go ahead and do the cleaning with replacement part.

Thanks! That’s been my plan, as it seemed to stop. I even put some goggles on to make sure the water was clear, which it was. But today I could tell there was DE back in the pool and the goggles test revealed DE in the water. I’ll plan to get the part switched out this weekend.

If you crack the air bleed while the filter is off, it will let the water drain back to the pool. If there's a check valve on the inlet side, ideal. If not, do it real slow. Very little, if any, DE will get back in the pool Then you can open up, replace parts, and reassemble. Any DE that did escape into the pool can be vacuumed up over the next few days, where it will recoat the grids the way it should.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thank you! That would be fantastic! Can you tell from the picture below if there is a check valve? Also, while I’m at it do you know what the bypass valve does? It seems to bypass the heater, but if so, would also bypass the salt cell. I can get a better picture of that side of the plumbing if needed. Thanks again.
1597184515265.jpeg

Good idea to change out the part and set it up properly. Probably need a better picture because it is hard to see where the by pass line is connected. Show a picture on the left of your filter with the plumbing may help. Looks like you have a booster pump as well for a cleaner.

Thank you! That would be fantastic! Can you tell from the picture below if there is a check valve? Also, while I’m at it do you know what the bypass valve does? It seems to bypass the heater, but if so, would also bypass the salt cell. I can get a better picture of that side of the plumbing if needed. Thanks again.
View attachment 157766
It doesn't look like it, but if it's possible to turn that three-way in front of the pump 90 degrees further clockwise, it would completely block the flow back to the skimmer so it will all have to drain out the returns.

Reactions: jark87
I replaced the part and I’m glad I did. There wasn’t nearly as much DE on the filter as there usually is. Granted, I backwashed before pulling it out, but it came out really clean. I went ahead and just cleaned it, as I wanted to see if I could find any other issues, like a torn grid. Didn’t find anything, so hopefully the flex air relief assembly fix takes care of the issue. Water is still cloudy, but I just finished an hour ago. I added the 7.5 lbs of DE like usual, but afterwards thought about the DE that’s floating in the water that will end up in the filter. Any concern of too much DE? Also, here’s a better picture of the plumbing. Am I correct in thinking that the bypass valve bypasses the heater and salt cell? Thanks again for the help!
1597262835844.jpeg

Glad you were able to take it apart and fix the issue - and get it all back together working. I don't think the little bit of extra DE will affect much - just watch your pressure on the filter.
It does look like the bypass pipe does bypass the heater and the SWG. Not sure if you are the original owner, but wonder if the initial set up did not have a heater so when they installed the heater plumbing they just created the bypass. You are right it appears it will also by pass the SWG so wonder if that was added later as well. Regardless, all is working and you have it well marked. Good Luck.

The excess DE will just overload the filter and raise the pressure. I suppose if there's mountains of it, it could clog the filter. The pressure gauge is your friend. It might go up a couple PSI in the next couple days and then stay put or it may go way up or maybe there isn't enough to make a difference. Just wait and see.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.