DE Filter trouble

Jul 27, 2018
DALLAS, TX
Hi All,

After giving our DE filter a deep cleaning to end the season, we are having trouble getting it to seal back up. Multiple attempts have continued to result in leaks around the middle once the clamp is put back together. Any tips or tricks to this? It seems to always give us trouble but usually we can get it to work after a try or two. We've cleaned and relubed the o-ring and tapped the clamp during the tightening process. How tight should the clamp be? Hand tight or more? I read the sticky note but any additional tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The band clamp on most DE filters needs to be tight to the point that the spring is fully compressed and that the threads stick out of the nut about a 1/4"...

Show us a pic of the filter showing the band clamp when leaking..

Thanks,

Jim R.

20181205_084531.jpg20181205_084646.jpg20181205_084656.jpg

Leaking on 2 of the 3 gaps in band. Not leaking at front.

- - - Updated - - -

The clamp also started making a terrible creaking noise during the tightening this go round. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but it was new this cleaning.

Teresa,

Here is a video that might help.. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwirz7uohInfAhVJZawKHWfjDTMQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DpScSlvH9htc&psig=AOvVaw3fUMEIK_UNrdTuaDVW_NT8&ust=1544111013190249

It appears to me that the gap between the left side and right side of the clamp is about right, but I don't see any threads sticking out of the nut end. Could be the band is just stretched out and now a little big.. It also appears that a washer or two is missing. See the image in this link... Google Image Result for https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61j%2BlcFqNmL._SX466_.jpg

Not sure that bolt set is for your specific filter, but just to give you an idea of what I think should be there.

I see a label on the filter that should show all the parts and how far the threads should stick out of the nut.

If this were my filter, I would look into buying a new band clamp.

I have a couple of DE filters and a cartridge filter, they all use a similar band clamp and they all make a terrible creaking noise when I tighten them... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

Teresa,

Among others, we like INYO pools because they have good customer service.. They are very good at taking your old part number and converting it into something compatible today.

Another option, if you are tired of messing with the DE, is to upgrade to a new cartridge filter.. I have a large 520 Pentair cartridge filter that I only clean twice a year. Could get away with once a year, but my OCD won't let me.. :rolleyes:

Of course this is also because I have a VS pump that I run at low RPMs.. I run my pump 24/7, costs me less than $20 per month. What does your 2 HP single speed pump cost you per month?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Teresa,

The O-Ring could be a problem, especially if old and stretched out making it too big. But, if you lubed it and did not see any obvious issues when you installed it, I doubt it is bad..

Try Craig's list, if looking for cheap filter parts...

Jim R.

Teresa,

The O-Ring could be a problem, especially if old and stretched out making it too big. But, if you lubed it and did not see any obvious issues when you installed it, I doubt it is bad..

Try Craig's list, if looking for cheap filter parts...

Jim R.
I agree. I always had a hard time getting my lid to settle into position -- forget about sealing. Just getting it on was the problem. It tightened up fine once I got it on. I finally replaced the big O-ring and problem solved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.