DE Filter - Texas Freeze

PSJ

Apr 8, 2020
Dallas, TX
As with the hundreds of others, my pool did not fare well in the deep Texas freeze. Specifically, my DE Filter cracked and my brand new RJ45+ shattered too.

I finally took it apart the filter today, and it APPEARS as though my internal manifold, grids, and upper part of the shell all look intact. What's the general idea on replacing only the base? It seems as though replacements are available.

Additionally, I don't know my exact model number - I inherited the filter when I bought the house and you can see the label is very worn. I got.a part number from the grid inside (Unicel FG-1004), so it appears to be a 48 sqFt filter. I think this is just the FNS and not the FNS plus? In which case, a replacement might not be available.

So - should I try to find a base replacement, or do I just suck it up and buy a new 48 sq ft filter? Already buying a new chlorinator....would like to minimize the expenses if possible. Also unknown if the manifold is actually ok or not...any ideas on how to check?

Thanks in adavance!

Nautilus Ice.jpg

@wireform /@mknauss

I just placed an order on a new DE from poolsupply world. Is there a good thread or overall benefits summary of cartridge filters? I've had pretty good success with my DE...and from my understanding is that if I do have an algae bloom DE is easier to deal with.

My cartridges handled a SLAM spectacularly. Either filter properly oversized will do the same thing. It’s the small filters of any type that make the SLAMee miserable.

From a maintenance point I think cartridge are easier to deal with. A lot less to go wrong down the line and can last years easily. Get the largest you can fit in the space. You won't regret it.

There is a hybrid- Quad DE that uses cartridges coated with DE. I've found it easy enough to break down and clean, and heard it's easier than the DE fins but never had a straight DE filter so can't speak from personal experience.

I sized my 20K pool with a Quad DE 100 and break down/clean twice per year, but I also use the DE alternative (cellulose) which is supposed to filter smaller particles and need more frequent cleanings.

There is a hybrid- Quad DE that uses cartridges coated with DE. I've found it easy enough to break down and clean, and heard it's easier than the DE fins but never had a straight DE filter so can't speak from personal experience.
I can speak from experience: the Quad DE is MUCH easier to clean than the traditional grids. I went with the Quad DE rather than a cartridge because of the weight when it's dirty. I can hose off most of the DE in place before lifting the cartridge. One of those considerations when you get to coot-age like me. :D.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.