DE Filter Strangeness...

RASelkirk

Jul 11, 2015
Port Neches, TX
Hi All,

I swapped over to a DE filter from sand almost 15 years ago. Went through the grid cleaning every year, between cleanings it only needed backflushing 2 or 3 times a year. About 2 years back, I started seeing what looked like filter media in the pool, so I ordered some new elements and changed them out (didn't help). Still seeing grayish-beige "dust" in the pool's bottom whenever the Zodiac G3 is not running. This past year, it seems like I'm BF'ing at least monthly if not sooner. Sometimes I can BF one day and overnight the filter has gained 8#. Does the quality of the replacement elements make a difference? They came off of E-Bay: " Pleatco PFS1836 36 sqft Filter Grid Set Pentair FNS36 Hayward DE3620 FS2003"...

Russ

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Russ, Pleatco generally has reliable replacement filters. I use them myself. Let's start with a basic question to make sure we rule out the easiest ….. are you 100% sure it's not algae (or dead algae) that's settling and clogging the filter? A dust appearance and pressure increase are early signs. Can you post a recent set of test results just so we can confirm and move to the possible scenario?

Just to confirm, since you're on a SWG, nothing else has been added to the water correct?

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Russ,

I agree with Pat.. You have all the signs of an algae bloom... Nothing else that I know of will make your pressure increase over night by 8 lbs...

I don't believe that your problem has anything to do with the quality of your grids.

I suspect that this happened last summer and you never got rid of it... When is the last time you did an OCLT??

Thanks,

Jim R.

RASelkirk

Jul 11, 2015
Port Neches, TX
What's an "OCLT"? That I don't know could possibly mean never. o_O It could be algae, usually (here in SETX) it's mustard algae which is easily discernible visually. I used to get it all the time with the chlorine/sand setup. The pool is a couple years past it's last repaint, if you brush hard enough you'll see whitish powder come off the walls. I usually only brush a couple times a year. The water is so pretty it's hard to imagine algae, but that would definitely explain the pressure problem. Since going to DE/salt, I've not really added anything other than occasional adjustments to PH and hardness...

Thanks!

Russ