DE Filter PSI rapidly climbs

Hokeypokey

Sep 24, 2022
Texas
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So my pump broke down in July and I had an emergency and couldn’t return until now. I had just cleaned out the DE filter - but the shaft seal was bad.

Anyways when I returned the pool was a swamp. I got someone to replace the shaft seal and the pump is going. I was having to backwash every 2 hours, then every hour, then30 minutes.

So I opened up the filter (Hayward 6020 DE filter) and the grids didn’t look that bad actually but I hosed them down and put it back together. I did notice that when I would open the valve up top to bleed air out of the filter water would dribble out rather than shoot out (this was before hosing off and after)

Once reassembled the psi instantly goes to 20 and climbed to 30 in a matter of about 90 seconds. I shut it off and added more DE and it remained steady at 20 for about 10 minutes and then started to climb by about 2 psi every 5 minutes or so.

Currently the pool is on recirculate to at least keep the chemicals moving. There’s no surging and when I first started the filter and for the first day there wasn’t this constant climb. So I don’t think it’s a return line clog. Circulation is good even when it’s on.

Before all this when I’d bleed air the water would shoot out and I’d close the valve - but now it still just dribbles. Is it a bad gauge or air tube possibly? With all the algae maybe I need to stop and wash down the grids with tsp? I was thinking with all the filtering I’d just hose it down every couple of days and do one final breakdown and deep cleaning - but maybe I need to do more.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: While there may be a time to inspect the air bleed and perhaps inlet to the filter gauge more closely, there appears to be some algae issues. How are you testing your water? We recommend either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit and use one of those to perform the SLAM Process to kill and remover algae once and for all.

In DE filters, algae is the #1 reason for increased pressure quickly. Not all algae is green or visible, so the SLAM Process may be your next step.

Be sure to bookmark our Pool Care Basics page and let us know if you have any

Last edited:
I’m waiting on a Taylor K-2006c test kit to arrive. I’ve been using test strips and a test kit from Home Depot to at least make sure my CYA isn’t insane and my Ph is now 7.2.

I did turn it from super green to now a very cloudy light green.

The issue I’m having is despite frequent backwashing I can’t get the pressure under control. Even if I backwash - the pressure climbs way too high within 30 min to an hour. I can’t do that every 30 minutes - so would you just SLAM on recirculate until it’s more under control?

I could even handle backwashing 2 or 3 time a day - but not every hour - I just can’t monitor it frequently enough to prevent super high pressure.

The first photo is where I’m at - and the second is the day after I started.

Attachments

• F78DC484-9915-4C57-84D5-6AA2B1C182F5.jpeg
    F78DC484-9915-4C57-84D5-6AA2B1C182F5.jpeg
    758 KB · Views: 7
  • C7C51002-B5D5-4BAB-801E-A2967C57DB3C.jpeg
    C7C51002-B5D5-4BAB-801E-A2967C57DB3C.jpeg
    556.6 KB · Views: 7
Filter pressure is likely climbing because it’s filtering a lot based on your photos. As you move into a proper SLAM, you should see fast results and the filter becomes less of an issue. But you’ll be fighting it for a bit as you work through all the debris in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.