DE filter pressure gauge rising

FLAK111

Gold Supporter
Jan 28, 2018
North/Texas
May seem simple to figure out but I’m perplexed ! I Darn down my pool system for the winter 1.5 months ago. We’ve had a warmer than usual winter in my region. I’ve notice lots of algae and lots of leaves / Crud in the bottom of the pool. I cleaned out the leaves , super shocked the pool, cleaned my Hayward DE 4820 and scrubbed. I did not add DE. Started my system up and running full motor strength in hopes to clean up the murkish green water back to normal. I noticed the pressure gauge going to 30-40 psi! So I backwashes it and it went back down (note water was not “dirty” but normal water coming out). I started it in the proper filter mode again and noticed after an hour or so it is back up to 20-30 psi! I’m like what the heck. Could it be the algae is getting pressed through the pool filter and causing the pressure to raise. ? Maybe I should run my motor at a lower speeds to filter more efficiently? Maybe I should add the DE? What’s your 2c?

As Marty said, you should never run a DE filter without DE for more than the 5 minutes it takes to load in the DE. At this point your grids are fouled. Backwashing will not clear it. You need to open the filter, disassemble it, and give the grids a good cleaning.

Your filter is not going to do any filtering until you clean it first and then load DE into it. After that follow the SLAM process to deal with your algae problem.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.