Andover, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
New filter, DE grids less than 6mo old had tears in a couple of the grids. Caused DE and sediment to flow back to pool. The DE on grids were coated with orange brown sediment that seemed to glaze over DE preventing anything to flow thru. Just replaced grids. Pool installer who replaced grids thought it was iron, so I got iron test. No iron, no copper, no phosphates.
I don't want to start new grids and have same thing happen. His other thought was that back wash piping ( going above filter to outside would leave pressure and cause holes), I'm doubting that as well, but no idea why/ how got holes in 1st place. Whole system installed in Feb.
But there's definitely some issue. And the singer stock turns orange/ brown day after I put a new one on. The skimmer basket is tainted as well.
We refill with well water, that I now filter on hose. ( it wasn't b4).
Any suggestions or thoughts appreciated. I have to turn system back on today b4 I create other issues. ( its been off for 2 days)

Attachments

• 20221024_131109_resized.jpg
    20221024_131109_resized.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20221024_131435_resized.jpg
    20221024_131435_resized.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221024_132936_resized.jpg
    20221024_132936_resized.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 17
You’re running the CSI too high and probably causing scale.

The brown looks like iron.

Iron won’t show up in a water test if it is all precipitated out as stains.

You are probably running the pump too fast causing overpressure as the grids get dirty.

You are not cleaning the grids often enough which is allowing them to get excessively dirty and your pressure is probably going too high.

You should clean the grids in a cleaning solution.

Remove the cartridge from the filter housing following the manufacturer’s instructions.

Use a garden hose with a straight flow nozzle to wash down the filter element.

Work from the top down, holding the nozzle at a 45 degree angle, and wash all the pleats with emphasis between pleats.

Rinse until all dirt and debris is gone.

For all spa cartridges and elements used in swimming pools where perspiration, suntan lotions, and other oils are present, soak the element for at least one hour (over night is more effective) in (1) a commercial filter cleaner; or (2) one cup trisodium phosphate (TSP) to five gallons water; or (3) once cup dishwasher detergent to five gallons of water.

Rinse the cartridge again to remove oils and cleaning solution.

If the filter has a coating of algae, calcium carbonate (residue from calcium hypochlorite), iron, or other minerals, soak the cartridge in a solution of one part muriatic acid to twenty parts water until all bubbling stops.

WARNING: Failure to remove all oils and cleaning solution before acid soaking will result in a permanent restriction of water flow and cause premature cartridge failure.

Rinse the cartridge clean and reassemble housing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.