East Hampton NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have a newly refinished Diamond brite pool. Running filter for first 24 hours and pressure went from 18 to 35. I was out of DE so went to store to purchase more. While I was out, pressure must have blown the drain plug off. Came back - pump had shut down and DE leaked all over pool equipment area (from the drain).

I backwashed and reloaded DE and have everything running again with normal pressure. So that seems good.

My question is should I be concerned with the wet blue (from the marble dust) DE that is in the equipment area. Not sure what to do with it

You are having no luck with this plaster startup.

The DE and blue plaster dust should wash away when we get some good storms.

After all my issues with the new Diamond Brite, I now see that water is leaking from the filter, I believe around the plug hole (its very wet there). New cap seems screwed in OK. I will try lubricating the seal tomorrow, but otherwise I fear that the DE filter may have cracked the plastic when the plug blew out a few days ago. Also, there is small leaking from the seal in the middle of the tank. Might I be wise to break it down and clean the grids? Might that help?

You don't say which filter you have. Probably just need to open the tank, remove the O ring and clean it and the area that it sits, add enough lube to make it shiny and reassemble. Don't stretch the ring by pulling it hard through a rag, just enough pressure to get the debris off.

I will look tomorrow, but if stripped, what are my options, other than replacing entire DE filter. I have been changing DE multiple times a day all week since my pool resurface. I assume this will die down but the explosion has me spooked that it might happen again so I am changing DE as soon as the pressure gets to the red line (about 30 psi, up from 18 psi or so at start). Running pump at 2950 (was running at 3200, but again spooked by DE take issues).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.