DE coming up the drain

Welcome! :wave: First order of busniess would be to assess your equipment to see if there's an air leak allowing water to flow back to the pool. We would also like to see a pic or two of your equipment pad. Can you post a pic of that please? Also update your signature with all of your equipment. It will help as we move forward.

It happened the morning after we replaced the membranes
I have a suspicion it's related to the last place you worked - the filter. Those housing O-rings can be tricky depending on the year/make of the filter. I wonder if there's a small air leak around the ring? You might not see water coming out when on, but when off it may allow air to seep "in" thereby forcing water flow backwards to the pump and drain. Do you hear water gurgling in the lines once turned off?

I'm also going to ping @Jimrahbe for second opinion as he has danced with DE filters quite a bit. :)

I have a suspicion it's related to the last place you worked - the filter. Those housing O-rings can be tricky depending on the year/make of the filter. I wonder if there's a small air leak around the ring? You might not see water coming out when on, but when off it may allow air to seep "in" thereby forcing water flow backwards to the pump and drain. Do you hear water gurgling in the lines once turned off?

I'm also going to ping @Jimrahbe for second opinion as he has danced with DE filters quite a bit. :)
Thanks. I’ll turn off and listen for gurgling. In the meantime, what are O rings? I know the filter... maybe not the part names.

Kelly,

If the water drains back out of your filter when the pump is off, it can take DE with it..

The key here is to know if this just left over DE from what might have gotten in the pool when you changed the DE Grids/membranes.

I would run your pump sucking just from the main drain, or mostly from the main drain, and run your robot a couple of times to see if you can pick it all up.. Then see if it comes back.

How often have you disassembled and reassembled the grid assembly? I have not done that specific filter but have found the first few times to be a bit of a challenge and pretty easy to do wrong...

DE should only be getting into you pool if the grids are damaged, or not installed correctly, or the filter is back-flowing into the pool when the pump is off.

In your pic, it appears that your main drain is off... If this is true than the DE could not have come from the pump side and may have just settled in the low point in your pool.

My suggestion is to determine if this is a one time deal or an ongoing problem.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Is your main drain connected to the skimmer? If so, you may have poured DE into the skimmer to quickly, allowing it drop into the main drain line in the skimmer. This happened to me once when I added DE without the skimmer diverter in place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This can happen anytime air gets in the return side when the pump is off. Just opening the tab feeder will cause the problem.

I would put a check valve between the pump and the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.