DE amount after backwashing

Feb 8, 2018
NY
I have a Hayward 4820 DE filter that requires 6lbs upon start and 4.8lbs upon backwashing, but how can I know if I am adding too much DE after backwashing? Adding DE seems to be more of an art than a science. I add 4.8lbs, or at least what I believe to be 4.8lbs, but more often than not, I lose water pressure and I think I may have added too much DE.

Additionally I'm having my yearly catkin/pollen problem and I believe the filter is getting gunked up with pollen (this is a problem I may post in another thread).

There's a good chance you aren't backwashing 80% off, so when you add 80% back, you're overloaded. An extreme case of what can happen is here. This is after they removed the lid.

So..... how handy are you? If you're ready to try opening up the filter and manually cleaning it, you'd know you got 100% off and you can recharge with 100% An annual teardown is pretty typical, and backwash the rest.

One other thing to consider: if your pool is green or cloudy, having a DE filter load up in an hour or two is quite normal. That's the curse of the DE filter.

Additionally, if you have gobs of pollen and stuff, stretch a knee-high nylon over the basket. It will catch a lot of crud and spare the filter. Check out the pictures, Skimmer Sock/Nylon Illustrated

There's a good chance you aren't backwashing 80% off, so when you add 80% back, you're overloaded.

So..... how handy are you? If you're ready to try opening up the filter and manually cleaning it, you'd know you got 100% off and you can recharge with 100% An annual teardown is pretty typical, and backwash the rest.

One other thing to consider: if your pool is green or cloudy, having a DE filter load up in an hour or two is quite normal. That's the curse of the DE filter.

Additionally, if you have gobs of pollen and stuff, stretch a knee-high nylon over the basket. It will catch a lot of crud and spare the filter. Check out the pictures, Skimmer Sock/Nylon Illustrated

I actually did open the filter in the beginning of the season and clean it with the hose, but after backwashing several times already I can't get a handle on whether or not I'm backwashing 80% or not. I backwash then rinse three times. The water in the sight glass appears to be clear by the last backwash, but maybe I should do it a fourth time? The problem is that in order to get the water flowing better a day or two after I last backwash, I'll run 1 backwash cycle. I'm sure I should not be doing this, but I'm getting so frustrated. After reading your response, I realize that I may need to backwash a lot more frequently, like every other day, ugh.

You should backwash when your filter pressure is 25% higher than your "clean" pressure - the pressure after you take a part the filter and clean off the grids. For example, my clean pressure is 12 psi, so I backwash at 15 psi.

I believe your filter is a 48 square foot filter. The rule of thumb for DE is 1 pound for every 10 square feet at startup - so 5 pounds at startup, and 80% of that when backwashing in between, so 4 pounds.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.