Day or Night? Best time to chlorinate? Short/High or Long/Low?

Andylit

Bronze Supporter
Jun 25, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Hello to the list and thanks for all the...help.

I have the generator installed and running. Magic is really science for dummies like me :p

So, I run my pump 24/7 because I live in a heavily wooded area with huge mature oaks overhanging the pool. I also cycle the Dolphin robot at least once a day.

That means once I get the time and power dialed in I can run the generator at any time.

Please share the knowledge. Better to run during the day to offset sunlight impact on the chlorine? Or at night to replenish for the day?

And....

Given the option, is there any advantage or disadvantage to running low power for a longer period? Or the opposite? I know the cartridge is rated for 15,000 hours, but I can't find any data for power/life. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The SWCG does not care. The life is based on generating hours.

If you run the pump 24 hours per day, run the SWCG 24 hours per day. Adjust the % generation based on the FC needed to keep in the target range for your CYA.

The SWCG does not care. The life is based on generating hours.

If you run the pump 24 hours per day, run the SWCG 24 hours per day. Adjust the % generation based on the FC needed to keep in the target range for your CYA.

I may be misunderstanding you. If the generator is based on "generating hours" alone, doesn't it make more sense to run it at a high rate for a short period?

Whether you have the SWCG set for 12 hours at 100% or 24 hours at 50%, it does not matter. Both are equal in 'generating hours'.

So, if I run the pump 24/7 it might even be possible to just set the generator to run 24/7 at a low percentage. Using a timer only if the lowest setting on 24/7 over-chlorinates.

Correct,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.