Day 3 PEA SOUP

Grey2175

Gold Supporter
Jan 30, 2017
Lindstrom/MN
The cartridge filters will possibly capture a very small amount of the copper, but the bulk is still in the water.

Only way to remove is to replace the water.
Ok. That’s the last resort I was afraid of but I will begin draining about 5,000 gallons after the sequester has had a while to circulate. Will doing this 8x rid us of copper?

Grey2175

Gold Supporter
Jan 30, 2017
Lindstrom/MN
I wanted to update the forum in case anyone had a similar experience. After we added 5 qts of Metal Magic to a 40000 in ground pool the paper filters eventually picked up most of the metal. I changed and cleaned the filters. There was red/green sentiment present. Lots of it. Our water is currently 7.5 pH and clear.

Grey2175

Gold Supporter
Jan 30, 2017
Lindstrom/MN
I wanted to update the forum in case anyone had a similar experience. After we added 5 qts of Metal Magic to a 40000 in ground pool the paper filters eventually picked up most of the metal. I changed and cleaned the filters. There was red/green sentiment present. Lots of it. Our water is currently 7.5 pH and clear.
You would drain a pool of this size as a last resort

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Just adding to the great advice you already have been given. That is iron in your water and it is not "completely fixed" The sequestrant has turned it into a soluble (invisible) form but the iron is still there.

Copper usually manifests as VERY dark Blue or almost black stain on the pool surfaces. I am not aware of copper turning the water a clear green

Reactions: Grey2175

Grey2175

Gold Supporter
Jan 30, 2017
Lindstrom/MN
Just adding to the great advice you already have been given. That is iron in your water and it is not "completely fixed" The sequestrant has turned it into a soluble (invisible) form but the iron is still there.

Copper usually manifests as VERY dark Blue or almost black stain on the pool surfaces. I am not aware of copper turning the water a clear green
How do I have iron if I have not added water?

aeh0603

Apr 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
You probably have some iron in your fill water. Over time the iron level slowly built up in your pool but remained soluble so you couldn't see it and didn't know it was there. When you added the chlorine for your SLAM the sudden change likely caused the iron to oxidize and make your water appear green.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
aeh0603 has provided a great answer. That's exactly what happens......my pool did it three years in a row after not doing it for seven years