Dark Pebbletec and heat issues in summer?

wilafur

May 18, 2018
San Gabriel Valley, CA
We're a month or two away from having to finalize the Pebbletec finish/color and I am leaning towards a black finish as it complements my home (modern farmhouse that is white w/ black trim). However, since, I'm in Arcadia, CA, it gets pretty toasty during the summers (100+ degrees) and the pool will not have much shading during the afternoon hours. Will we potentially risk running into issues of the water being a bit too warm with a dark Pebbletec, like some folks in Vegas and Phoenix?

Our pool is 16'x41' with interior sunken spa (7'x7') and the depth goes from 3' to 8' deep. Thanks!

jp4LSU

Jun 22, 2021
DFW, TX
So how cool does it get at night there? I'm in DFW and on the high 90's and 100 days in July and August it is still 80deg at night sometimes.

We like the dark color water also. The standard for our PB is Pebblesheen but to it is an upgrade to get some of the darker colors like Ocean Blue which is our favorite. Previously I never though about water getting warmer with a darker finish. We will stick with one of the standard colors Blue Granite or Blue Surf. I'm kind of glad the Ocean Blue was an upgrade because we don't want to spend the extra $1800 for it, otherwise we would've gotten it not thinking about the water possibly being hotter and might have regretted.

I wouldn't worry about it matching the house. The pool floor is its own entity. Pick the color of your finish based on the color water you want.

Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Silver Supporter
Apr 10, 2018
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
I have black marble Pebble Tec and our climates are similar. If I leave the pool uncovered, temps don't get above 86 degrees towards the end of the day. Morning temps have been around 81 to 82 degrees.

wilafur

May 18, 2018
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Thanks for the quick replies. There is usually a 20-25 degree swing, so if the high hits 100, then the low will be around 75-80. Sounds like my fear of the pool temp being too high might err on the side of being irrational?

Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Silver Supporter
Apr 10, 2018
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
For me, the pool doesn't start getting comfortable until it's about 85 degrees. I can't recall ever having natural pool temps above 88 degrees.

Nikilyn

Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2018
Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We don’t have a dark finish but our pool has been almost too warm the last couple of weeks. Seems to be holding at 91. We’ve been aerating trying to cool it a bit. Our lows are in the 80s.

Kathleen2252

Apr 28, 2021
Los Angeles
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi.
I'm in Chino Ca and we had pebble sheen prism blue put in this May.
There is no shade on our pool at all, and the warmest its gotten so far is 84 on these 100 degree days.

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread