Dangerous pH Level in neighbors pool? Am I in trouble for putting my hand in?

ionizer

Gold Supporter
Jun 7, 2016
Marlboro, NJ
Hi everyone, my neighbor just got new plaster put in his pool and asked me to bring my test kit over to test.

So I ran a pH test and it was YELLOW - off the bottom of the chart. So I used a new fairly well calibrated electric pH test and it came out to 3.0. Yes, THREE POINT ZERO.

Should I be concerned if my arm was dipped into the pool as that seems REALLY ACIDIC. I also then tested his TA and CH for him, but they were basically nothing.

My main concern is - that pH of 3.0 dangerous to my skin? I've washed my hand twice now and now i feel like my skin is tingly.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: Yes, I told my neighbor that he probably wants to get his pH up asap. His equipment is off at the moment and there is an aerator/pump in his pool that the people working on it put in. I told him he should probably look into some borax 20/washing soda, but i also told him i dont know anything about plaster pools and what should be done when it is first curing

- - - Updated - - -

PPS: I'm reading that some sour candies have like pH of 1.6 so hopefully I'm not going to die from my hand touching 3.0 ;)

FYI, a pH of 3 is equivalent to orange juice or soda ... I think your skin will be fine ;)

Sounds like an acid start for new plaster. I assume the reno company is doing the start up?

- - - Updated - - -

I would not mess with their process until he is told to take over.

FYI, a pH of 3 is equivalent to orange juice or soda ... I think your skin will be fine ;)

Sounds like an acid start for new plaster. I assume the reno company is doing the start up?

- - - Updated - - -

I would not mess with their process until he is told to take over.

he was given instructions to follow, but asked me to test. i think he is at the "Take over" timeframe.

is an "acid start" proper for new plaster? meaning should it be that low?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.