Dallas Pool Build **update with final pool pics**

Things have come to a complete stop on our pool, there is an equipment shortage... he has not ETA on it, and some suppliers are saying its a 2 month wait... I am really hopeful that turns around quickly... if anyone has a suggestion on a way to get it quicker, please share :)

Thanks
Unfortunately, with that major freeze in Texas, everyone else (including you) wants new equipment too. You may just have to wait... aka... get in line.

Covid put a huge strain on the pool industry last year. Then that big freeze in Texas was just a slap in the face on top of it.

Things have come to a complete stop on our pool, there is an equipment shortage... he has not ETA on it, and some suppliers are saying its a 2 month wait... I am really hopeful that turns around quickly... if anyone has a suggestion on a way to get it quicker, please share :)

Thanks
We are also waiting on equipment and our PB said that it's on order. They haven't said it would be 2 months though. I definitely hope it's not that long! We have everything done up to Tile and Coping but they can't do electrical without the equipment being in, so we're just waiting...

My PB ordered my equipment the day they dug in early Feb. Thankfully that was before the winter storm so they haven my equipment and have installed some of it. Unfortunately we are waiting on labor to free up for tile and coping to get installed. I still hope everything will be complete by Memorial Day. Everything is all backlogged, materials, labor, etc.

My PB ordered my equipment the day they dug in early Feb. Thankfully that was before the winter storm so they haven my equipment and have installed some of it. Unfortunately we are waiting on labor to free up for tile and coping to get installed. I still hope everything will be complete by Memorial Day. Everything is all backlogged, materials, labor, etc.
My PB took a deposit (I think 6-7K) and during the wait we suggested that we may not want to build due to the delays and he told us that he had already "gotten" the equipment clearly that was not the case.

I am ready to be done with this thing, I am wondering when we can ask to put the yard back together, the plumbing is now complete I wonder if they can just turn on the sprinklers so we can get ahead of the texas heat.

Electrician question,

The electrician wants to run the wire for the pool through the attic, so there will be an exterior PVC pipe coming down the side of the house (2 locations) and then he will trench to the location where the equipment is... Seems to me like this is a "short cut" or a way to save time or money.

Anyone have any advice on this?

Running through the attic is not a problem as long as you are fine with some pipes running down the side of the house. He needs to do it to code with the proper wires and PVC,

You are going to most likely have a pipe/conduit on the side of the house no matter how they do it. My equipment pad is near my meter and the breaker box. They punched a hole right next to the meter and ran another conduit pipe. Then trenched.

I am assuming your equipment pad is on the opposite side of the house as the breaker box. That’s the only reason I could see them wanting to use the attic.

If it wasn't specified up front and they are just trying to avoid the trenching then stick to your guns. They will cut every corner, but you will look at it and see it every day.
Seems like this was the goal for them, they still trenched about 50 ft vs 80 ft to avoid the attic run. I am glad we did it this way.

Thanks everyone for their advice.

Reactions: GDN

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So we were supposed to have 2 lights in our pool (two on the long wall facing in the same direction) and it seems during the build they only planned for one light (in the center of the long wall)

it seems during the electrical rough in they have placed a line in the middle of the short wall this means

1. They will drill through the gunite for the second light which I don’t know anything about.
2. How will that look ?

any input is greatly appreciated.

I need to make sure I watch my guys work. I have some time scheduled off. This is the second post I've seen in 2 weeks that pools aren't getting the right amount of lights they contracted for.

Here are my 2 cents:

- Ditch the Easy Touch and Screen Logic and get the Intellicenter. Its the newer automation system from Pentair for a very similar price.
- Rainbow feeder, ditch that for a Salt Water generator. If you want to keep it, make sure you are not exclusively using tabs in it as your chlorinating method or you are going to have issues with CYA and ultimately algae

- Superflo pump. I do not know much about them, but generally the IntelliFlow is the best pump from Pentair so I would get that.

Here are my 2 cents:

- Ditch the Easy Touch and Screen Logic and get the Intellicenter. Its the newer automation system from Pentair for a very similar price.
- Rainbow feeder, ditch that for a Salt Water generator. If you want to keep it, make sure you are not exclusively using tabs in it as your chlorinating method or you are going to have issues with CYA and ultimately algae

- Superflo pump. I do not know much about them, but generally the IntelliFlow is the best pump from Pentair so I would get that.
Sorry for a noob question, but the system he is installing, is it considered the “lite” system? I wonder if trying to change this now may give him a chance to claim that caused a larger delay.

I suggested that we can switch equipment brands if pentair is hard to get (seems that’s the hottest brand in the Texas market and they have the largest shortage/ time delay)

Sorry for a noob question, but the system he is installing, is it considered the “lite” system? I wonder if trying to change this now may give him a chance to claim that caused a larger delay.

I suggested that we can switch equipment brands if pentair is hard to get (seems that’s the hottest brand in the Texas market and they have the largest shortage/ time delay)
That is not the lite version of Easy Touch. Both Easy Touch/Screen Logic and Intellicenter are automation systems from Pentair. Easy Touch is 15+ years old, where Intellicenter is just a few years old so it is newer technology (over the air updates, color touch screen, etc.). Both will work, I'm just suggesting to go with their newer product.

If you switch to another manufacturer from Pentair, we generally suggest matching automation systems to the same manufacturer.

That is not the lite version of Easy Touch. Both Easy Touch/Screen Logic and Intellicenter are automation systems from Pentair. Easy Touch is 15+ years old, where Intellicenter is just a few years old so it is newer technology (over the air updates, color touch screen, etc.). Both will work, I'm just suggesting to go with their newer product.

If you switch to another manufacturer from Pentair, we generally suggest matching automation systems to the same manufacturer.
That’s the plan. My understanding is Haworth is more available and the PB just doesn’t like it much.
His claim is Haworth is cheaper and not as good as pentair

Deck question

we chose salt finish deck because brushed concrete wasn’t our style.

we are being advised that it won’t Hold up well with dirt and to consider a smooth finish (we paid $1/ ft for the salt over brushed ).

we asked about cool deck and were told it’s another $3/ ft.

I’m personally doing salt finished. It is used in a lot of commercial applications in lieu of stamped. I’m sure it’s slightly more difficult to clean or power wash because of the pits created by the salt.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.