Dallas Pool Build

Dallaspoolneed

Feb 9, 2021
Dallas texas
For sure, I am all about him making a living. But he did this with my dad too so it might be his way of doing business .... its not like his bid was super cheap, and there are some costs to doing business.

My biggest frustration is the initial quote on the dig, then the moving of equipment... I feel like those things should be easy to forecast given his experience building pools.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
If he did this with your Dad why did you expect something different?

Reactions: GDN

Dallaspoolneed

Feb 9, 2021
Dallas texas
If he did this with your Dad why did you expect something different?
He did a remodel for my dad, and when I asked him if my experience would be the same he replied that it would not , since he did not build dads pool he was having unforeseen challenges and that my pool is very straight forward.

Dallaspoolneed

Feb 9, 2021
Dallas texas
Moving the equipment is a change order. Change orders almost always cost ya.

So I don't mind him putting the equipment where he initially quoted, however he wants to move it to make it easier for him, and while the gas and electric run is longer, he will have a shorter run for all the PVC since it the equipment is closer to the pool.

In fact the new location is in eyesight of our back patio, and the other two PB's both were ok with putting equipment against the wall.

I think the wall he prefers (the side of my house that the gas is on) has windows that he says won't meet code (I brought that up during the quote process on why this side of the house vs the other side) the other PBs wanted to place it on the side of my house that has electrical

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
What rooms are by the side of the house the equipment will go? A pool pump can be noisy. Best not to put it near bedrooms or offices.

Windows can be a code issue if you have a heater, especially gas.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
D,

I would not put a heater by a window, but if you can hear a pool pump outside your window, then you just have the wrong pump. My pool pump is about 6 feet away from my sleeping head and the only way for me to tell if it is running is to go out and look at it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Dallaspoolneed

Feb 9, 2021
Dallas texas
So I do think the window is a code issue, and I mentioned it to him during the bid process.

I will talk to him and explain how I feel and see what he says, its likely that he may see my perspective. I have been really on top of things, his progress checks are ready before he asks for them, etc.

If the bill for the "flashing" isn't too high and he doesn't charge for the equipment movement (being closer to the pool may save some money over the gas, etc)

thanks everyone

Dallaspoolneed

Feb 9, 2021
Dallas texas
So our "flashed" pool still ended up having the walls collapse under the steel. Seems like they missed where our drain was not capped off and all the water from the lawn went into the shell of the pool. They are now digging it out and placing plywood behind the steel to make the "frame" again.

I couldnt upload images since they are too large on my iPhone but will do when I get home.

Thanks everyone

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Nikilyn

Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2018
Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So our "flashed" pool still ended up having the walls collapse under the steel. Seems like they missed where our drain was not capped off and all the water from the lawn went into the shell of the pool. They are now digging it out and placing plywood behind the steel to make the "frame" again.

I couldnt upload images since they are too large on my iPhone but will do when I get home.

Thanks everyone
My phones files would still be too large even with HDR and Live turned off. I would email them to myself so I could make them smaller.

GDN

Bronze Supporter
Oct 17, 2016
Dallas, TX
Sorry to say, this sounds like a typical pool build most anywhere, especially Dallas. We built almost 6 years ago and had major delays due to rain. It was still completed in about 6 months however.

I don't have a lot to add other than from one of your very first posts, I'm 99% sure there was no city inspection after the dig. The first inspection doesn't come until after the rebar is in. I'm in the city of Dallas and Dallas County. If there was a required inspection you will have a green, yellow or red tag.

There is also a city web site you can look up permits, search by address https://developdallas.dallascityhall.com/Default.aspx?PossePresentation=SearchForAddresses. It will list the trades that are part of the build and will have completion checks after they get their green tag. I believe we had an inspection after rebar, after plumbing electrical and maybe a final. Been too long, I don't have all the tags.

Dallaspoolneed

Feb 9, 2021
Dallas texas
We’re getting somewhere !!
The tile is completed.
Next step is equipment install then deck.

Question on tile for bench and steps, is that completed after plaster?

Attachments

• F2482E11-6B0B-406D-BF7C-E70010BEC8A5.jpeg
    F2482E11-6B0B-406D-BF7C-E70010BEC8A5.jpeg
    756.8 KB · Views: 54

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Question on tile for bench and steps, is that completed after plaster?

No, tile on bench and steps needs to be on before they plaster. Then they plaster around the tile.

JJ_Tex

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 17, 2019
Prosper, TX (DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Thank you I will message my builder.
Mine waited on our tanning ledge and step tile until right before plaster. His logic was that he didnt want any of the other trades to knock the tiles off as they were doing the plumbing, coping, decking, etc. Good luck, it looks like you will be ready just in time for swim season.

Reactions: Krysib

Dallaspoolneed

Feb 9, 2021
Dallas texas
Mine waited on our tanning ledge and step tile until right before plaster. His logic was that he didnt want any of the other trades to knock the tiles off as they were doing the plumbing, coping, decking, etc. Good luck, it looks like you will be ready just in time for swim season.
We are so excited. My five year old saw him and asked if the pool would be ready for his birthday in April.
I think maybe that helped ? Who can say no to a five year old 🤷🏽‍♂️

wreckem

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Your build is definitely moving along much quicker than mine.

Dallaspoolneed

Feb 9, 2021
Dallas texas
Your build is definitely moving along much quicker than mine.
Things have come to a complete stop on our pool, there is an equipment shortage... he has not ETA on it, and some suppliers are saying its a 2 month wait... I am really hopeful that turns around quickly... if anyone has a suggestion on a way to get it quicker, please share :)

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support