Dallas Pool Build **update with final pool pics**

Dallaspoolneed

Feb 9, 2021
Dallas texas
**updated with equipment list for critique**

IMG_2471 copy.jpg

We are building a pool in Dallas, TX. Our builder just completed a remodel on my parents pool (was supposed to be a 4 week project and turned into 3 month project) he is now started my pool (a full 2 months after it was supposed to be completed, due to delays with gunite and covid).

Initially we had couldn't get a neighbor to take down a fence (so we would only have a 4 ft, access, which he charged us a $2000 premium to dig the pool, and eventually a neighbor agreed to remove their fence to help us out, but he now claims he is still using the small equipment so the charge will remain)

We had him start on Feb 2 and it took 2 days to dig the pool, after which he stated the county will do an inspection and then he can continue with steel and plumbing (I didn't see anyone from the county on our cameras, but he says they approved us to move forward) it has been 5 days an no subs have come since, he now says the ground is too cold to do plumbing, etc.

We are worried that this may be his method of working and may be in for a very long and drawn out pool build process.

Can someone help understand what is acceptable for build time?

For reference we are building a
32 x 16 pool with a 9 x 9 hot tub
600 ft of concrete

Thanks in advance and looking forward to learning from the group.

Last edited:
There are no standards for what is acceptable in pool construction times. Especially with Covid that gives many challenges and excuses. And all good pool builders are slammed with work.

Be happy with slow progress. Many folks are being told their builder cannot start until sometime next year.

6 to 15 months of wait time is what I was quoted by PB's in my area.
The mild winter has me praying that my dig date will be early April.
Speed will always be trumped by quality.
What do contractors say? Speed/Quality/Price, pick two.
Given the current market, I'm actually apt to just pick one, which is Quality.

Reactions: Casey
We are building a pool in Dallas, TX. Our builder just completed a remodel on my parents pool (was supposed to be a 4 week project and turned into 3 month project) he is now started my pool (a full 2 months after it was supposed to be completed, due to delays with gunite and covid).

Initially we had couldn't get a neighbor to take down a fence (so we would only have a 4 ft, access, which he charged us a $2000 premium to dig the pool, and eventually a neighbor agreed to remove their fence to help us out, but he now claims he is still using the small equipment so the charge will remain)

We had him start on Feb 2 and it took 2 days to dig the pool, after which he stated the county will do an inspection and then he can continue with steel and plumbing (I didn't see anyone from the county on our cameras, but he says they approved us to move forward) it has been 5 days an no subs have come since, he now says the ground is too cold to do plumbing, etc.

We are worried that this may be his method of working and may be in for a very long and drawn out pool build process.

Can someone help understand what is acceptable for build time?

For reference we are building a
32 x 16 pool with a 9 x 9 hot tub
600 ft of concrete

Thanks in advance and looking forward to learning from the group.
Patience is key in a pool build. All the builders are crazy busy so you will deal with delays. Hopefully with starting now you will be swimming by this summer. Just do your part and make sure there are no lingering material decisions. You don’t want that pushing things out as well.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
I think a lot depends on area too, while ours are busy here, I was lucky enough to just be doing a reno so I focused on companies that specialize and only do reno's which gives me Better timelines. My guy did say they were doing like 50 remodels a week so that once we signed it would be about 6-7 week wait which clearly was fine with us

Our build was 2 months + 1 week from excavation to plaster, with another couple of weeks for punch list items, irrigation, fence repair, etc. That was 2019, so pre COVID.

I would expect it to take a bit longer due to demand going up and COVID causing some challenges. With that said, I would also not let your guard down especially if you are getting bs excuses like its too cold to do plumbing. I would also be watching your payment schedule and make sure it is not overly in the pool builders favor.

Thanks for the input everyone. He called me today and said that he didn't expect a cold front to come in and that they are worried that if it stays under freezing that the glue will not dry, etc. I won't nag him much that no one is working, instead I will sit back and give him a week and see if it speeds up after that.

We have made all our material decisions in September, we are a. bit confused on the plaster color and concrete color, both of which he said. we have amble time to change (but we made reserve selections, so if we don't make up our mind, they will proceed with those options)

He also said that we won't need piers, which saves us quite a bit of money (I was surprised we didn't need piers, considering that we are on fill dirt and retaining wall)

I will keep you guys updated.

get an engineer to look at the plans. It will be money well spent.

If you just look at the time to build the pool, a pool can be built in like 3-4 weeks.
1) 1-2 days to dig
2) 2-3 days for rebar/plumbing
3) 1 day for gunite
4) cure for 2 weeks. (install coping and tile)
5) 1 day - hook up equipment
6) 1 day plaster
7) fill pool

All the reset of the time is trying to get subs to show up and get inspections.

My pool officially started monday nov 23rd. right now we are waiting an inspecion. We are on step 5.
There has been about 1.5 weeks of rain, christmas, and thanksgiving (about 2.5 weeks lost to weather/holidays).

We built our first pool in 3 weeks back in 2006. I’m pretty happy this one has only been 2 1/2 months with all that’s been happening with pool builds this year.

Reactions: TikiParadise
get an engineer to look at the plans. It will be money well spent.

If you just look at the time to build the pool, a pool can be built in like 3-4 weeks.
1) 1-2 days to dig
2) 2-3 days for rebar/plumbing
3) 1 day for gunite
4) cure for 2 weeks. (install coping and tile)
5) 1 day - hook up equipment
6) 1 day plaster
7) fill pool

All the reset of the time is trying to get subs to show up and get inspections.

My pool officially started monday nov 23rd. right now we are waiting an inspecion. We are on step 5.
There has been about 1.5 weeks of rain, christmas, and thanksgiving (about 2.5 weeks lost to weather/holidays).

How do you find an engineer to look at plans? We are in DFW, just wondering is someone has a contact?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey guys, I renamed the thread since the build has started,

Feb 2 & 3 pool dig
Then we had an inspection, and weather delay, today Feb 20 we did steel work, apparently we have extensive steel (he upgraded it to 1/2 around the pool due to soil here)

We had to pay $2000 extra for dig, since he used smaller equipment (which I was frustrated with since he knew we had access issues)
We had a $1200 up-charge for the steel (in our bid it say we would need to pay more after the dig either for piers, or more steel so that I didn't feel upset about)

Ill attach images shortly.

Question, we may need to flash the pool and he said he would figure that out and get back to me .. but to me it seems like that shouldn't be a cost on my end, anyone have experience with this and the cost?? Also if you paid, what should we expect?

Pool details:

32 x 16 rectangle pool
9 x 9 SPA
2" lueders
400k heater
Sprinkler repair ($2000 budget)
Filter: DE Pentair 60
Pump: Pentair Wisper Flo 2.5hp
1 hp silencer
Chlorinator (my wife hates salt pools, I tried convincing her)
Pentair Logic screen (R4 logic screen computer)
3.5 - 5 ft pool depth
Sod repair ($2500 budget)
5 returns, autofill, 2 main drains, extra suction line for spa spill way, 3 spray heads, 2 bubblers on tan ledge
581 sq ft of concrete (which we pushed back 3 ft which is 3 x 42 @ 9.50/ ft) Salt texture concrete, one color
Plaster is diamond bride medium or light color.
1 light in spa, 2 in pool Pentair MICRO LED lights
Pool sweep = Legend 1

Piers/ additional foundation work separate charge, landscape not included.

Last edited:
We are doing a salt texture with winter gray color and Tahiti blue plaster.

Here are the tiles and coping we chose (he had enough of these longer coping pieces and they looked nice so we selected it over travertine, which felt slippery to us)

Attachments

• IMG_4552.jpeg
    IMG_4552.jpeg
    581.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4614.jpeg
    IMG_4614.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Love
Reactions: TexasRain
What is “Pentair Logic screen (R4 logic screen computer)”? Is that Pentair Easy Touch automation with Screenlogic?

If so you should be getting an IntelliFlo pump that can be controlled by the ET. The Whisperflo cannot be controlled by automation.

You should also consider the IntelliCenter instead of the EasyTouch.

I suggest a variable speed pump! I say it's a must!

I am sure there are some peeps here that can help you talk her into a SWG! ;) Can't wait to see some pics!

D,

I really doubt your wife has every been in a saltwater pool.. I suspect she thinks they are just like swimming in the ocean. :(

I also suspect that your pool builder has been building pools for over 30 years.. Unfortunately, that is why you have an equipment list from 30 years ago. I suggest that you think about moving up to something from this Century. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: mknauss
D,

I really doubt your wife has every been in a saltwater pool.. I suspect she thinks they are just like swimming in the ocean. :(

I also suspect that your pool builder has been building pools for over 30 years.. Unfortunately, that is why you have an equipment list from 30 years ago. I suggest that you think about moving up to something from this Century. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

He has been building for 30 years, and maybe why his prices were lower... Help me with what equipment to swap to and I am sure he will switch it up...

D,

Thanks,

Jim R.

Also on the saltwater, that is 100% what I told her too, and tried to explain to her that with eczema she would enjoy the salt pool 100% more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.