Daily maintenance

MeSue

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2007
Florida
From the reading I have been doing, it sounds to me like the BBB method requires daily testing and topping up of chlorine. Is this true? Is it possible to do BBB without daily maintenance?

Our pool is primarily only used by my husband and I we do our swimming in the late afternoons, that is, when it's not storming. We use the pool maybe 4-7 days a week.

MeSue said:
From the reading I have been doing, it sounds to me like the BBB method requires daily testing and topping up of chlorine. Is this true? Is it possible to do BBB without daily maintenance?

Our pool is primarily only used by my husband and I we do our swimming in the late afternoons, that is, when it's not storming. We use the pool maybe 4-7 days a week.

Yes, it's true. Takes somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 or 2 minutes. Any pool should be tested fairly often for safety.

ANY pool, even those with SWGs or chlorine dosing systems should be checked daily for pH and chlorine levels. Once you really know your pool you can skip some of the tests and just test a few times a week because you will know how your chlorine lasts and how your pH moves and how often you need to make adjustments.

Hi MeSue
I also check my pool and hot tub daily and I agree whatever system you would be doing should also be checked daily. There is little time involved in testing and things can be changed for vacation and other down time. By testing every day you will learn your pool 100%.

Any sanitation system that doesn't monitor the sanitizer level will give you trouble if you don't test everyday. Chlorine consumption varies quite a bit from day to day. Sunlight, high bather load and mystery biological contaminants can reduce the chlorine to below the safe level pretty quickly. Regardless of chlorination method, safety dictates frequent testing.

It takes me a few minutes in the morning before going to work to test CL & Ph, rinse out the skimmer sock. I add bleach and Borax if needed at night. Not that big of deal, I have missed several days, pool forgave me.

Not to disagree....but I've been with BBB since May and I will test if I'm in the pool for CL and PH but if I'm not swimming I don't always remember to test....I haven't had any problems. MY CYA is about 70 and I keep the CL at least above 5pmm. I only shocked once and that was because I was leaving for vacation for 11 days. I added CL 3 days ago. You could add a little each day or a little more every other day, so long as your readings are in the appropriate range for your balanced water. My CL was a little high because I added too much CL the other day so I was able to go an extra day or two to let it drop back into my normal range.
Sorry to ramble, hope that made sense.

I test for FC, TC, and pH every day. It takes five minutes to run the test, swap out the skimmer sock and rinse the used one, add chlorine, empty the PoolSkim bag. I do this while the dogs are out in the yard doing their morning business. Yes, I know, I know. I should add the chlorine at night but it just doesn't fit into the routine around here. I test for TA once a week and CYA 3 times during the season.

I taped a copy of Ben's Best Guess chart to the wall in my 'lab', an old camper topper set on a cement slab, has a sink and counter tops, cabinets to keep the chemicals, very fancy! :) Leaks bad when it rains though.

Anna

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll be honest. I don't test every day. Sometimes only once a week, although on average 2-3 times a week. However, I feel comfortable that I know my pool's chlorine consumption rate and can add a jug of chlorine every evening or every other evening without testing and everything stays on track. My Ph stays put for the most part. The key is getting to know your pool. Once you are comfortable with that, you can pretty much predict where your levels are going to be without testing. Then daily testing may not be required.

Riles

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.