Daily Liquid Chlorine Amount Guidance

Pharrquad

Jun 29, 2019
MS
Hello, I’m new to TFP. I have been a pool owner for years and I’m glad I finally found this site.

I recently had a mustard algae bloom due to my pump going out while on vacation. :/.

I have SLAMed the pool and plan to do my overnight test tonight as it is finally clear and sparkling again. Then I’ll do a mustard dose to finish it off.

However my question is about “daily dosing” of chlorine. Once my levels return to normal, about how much liquid chlorine should I add daily? I travel a lot and my kids or wife help maintain the pool. My goal is to pour up pre-determined amounts of liquid chlorine that they can add to the pool daily. I will be able to test it 2 times a week at a min so I can make small adjustments as needed.

I’ve decided to get away from the tablets so I need a little help on the expected dosage amount a pool my size should need weekly. It is about 25,000 gallons. Also my borate level is about 35. All other items are balanced.

Thanks so much!!

Hi, welcome to TFP! If you could please post the rest of your test results we could advise you better. "Balanced" is kind of subjective and covers a fair range of test values. Much of our advice comes from comparing values and we need your test results in order to do that.
The FC/CYA Levels chart is the best place to start. It will tell you your daily FC target values based on your current CYA levels.

You would want to round up your reporting of CYA values to the nearest 10, so we would say you have 40ppm of CYA. Your target FC level is 5-7ppm. You want to dose to the top of your target level, so if you miss a day you are less likely to drop below the minimum of 3ppm, according to the FC/CYA Levels .

Every pool will be different and the weather, pool use, etc could also affect it.

Will you have a week or so to keep an eye on it after the SLAM is done so you can get a feel for how much it drops daily?

Reactions: SacDave
My plan currently is to check it daily this week and see what my daily addition is and average that out into daily doses for when I’m not home. I’m just curious if anyone has an idea about what they experience. I’ve never really known the perfect level of CYA for my pool. I get the higher it is the higher the chlorine level will have to be but I’ve also been amazed at how much chlorine it has taken in the past. I’m referring to tablets and not liquid. I’m used to a tablet rate of 6-8 per week but I’ve never slammed the pool until this year and I expect I was actually fighting a small algae problem all season long.

If anyone could share their typical daily dose and the size of their pool I could at least see if mine is in the ball park.

In your climate, start at 4 ppm FC added per day. Test and see how that works.

Tablets are chasing the rabbit, as you add more to increase FC it increases CYA which requires more FC which adds more CYA ............

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm retired so I check my chemical more than necessary. As for chlorine what the pool needs always seems to change. Lot of factors, Sun, stuff blowing in the pool, water temp ( mine 90˚common) and how much the pool gets used. What I did a couple years ago I did I tracked my chemical use for the pool for a month. the test was in the summer heat. Can't find the numbers now but I know for one month the cost was $60. keep in mind this was the summer heat. Another thing I've learned every year is deferent.

Thanks for all of the replies! It seems 2-3ppm is about the average. I’ve been adding about 3 per day (121 ounces of 6.05% bleach). My chlorine has been above 3 every day this week so that seems to be my daily dose. I expect it to be higher on weekends when it is swam it a lot more. Thanks so much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.