joemkraus

Bronze Supporter
Sep 23, 2019
Saratoga, CA
I just drained around 3/4 of my pool to reduce my CYA. I have not finished refilling yet, so not sure of the final CYA reading (was round 90 when started), but I suspect it will be low:

1) how much CYA do 3" pucks add into 22K gal pool? As I will use pucks just to get the CYA level up then liquid chlorine
2) to avoid the high levels of CYA in the future, what is recommended when on vacation fro a week or so? I usually use pucks, but alas the high CYA?

Thx

Joe

8 oz of trichlor will raise FC by 2.5, CYA by 1.5, lower pH by 0.13, and add 2 ppm of salt.

TriChlor always releases a 2:1.2 ratio of FC to CYA.

How much TriChlor your pool can take when on vacation depends on the CYA level you begin with.

The people who get in CYA trouble are the ones who use pucks for their daily chlorine. As long as you are normally using liquid chlorine, 3 pucks worth of CYA for a summer vacation will not hurt you (raises by ~5 CYA).

usually just 4 days, but on occasion a long vacation, like 2 weeks

So in 2 weeks TriChlor tablets can raise your CYA by about 20 if your pool uses 2.5 ppm of chlorine a day.

If you don't have any water restrictions then monitor your CYA and replace some water when your CYA is getting high.

As someone else said, best answer is get a SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.