CYA won't rise?

Skybluepink02

May 22, 2022
Atlanta, Ga
Hi all,

I'm new to pool care and SLAMing. We've always had a pool service, but our guy retired and costs are high, and here we are. I found SLAM about halfway through opening my pool, so I know I'm going around this backwards. But I'm trying to fix it now.

First things first,
TC - 5
FC - 15
PH - 7.1
Alk - 150
CYA - 0
Hardness - 150

Pool is about 15,000 gallons and we have a sand filter.

That CYA number is the one that I can't figure out. I've added a whole 5 pounds of stabilizer, in the skimmer with a skimmer sock to contain it. It's dissolved. The number is still 0. I'm worried about adding more because I'm worried that I'll somehow add too much and it'll be a whole other problem.

Am I adding it wrong? Should I be doing something else? Keep adding?

Thanks, and please be kind to a newbie! :)

By adding it to the skimmer, while in a sock, it still needs to go through the pump through the sand filter then back to the pool. The sand filter will slowly release it to the pool via the returns. Do not backwash for at least a few days. Check the CYA level again in a few days.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: 5 lbs should take the CYA up to about 40. Are you comfortable with the CYA test? Sure you are reading when the dot disappears properly?
Not even a little confident. :) I'm still figuring this out and feel a bit lost.

I've been double-checking myself with a strip test, which also reads zero, so I'm inclined to think it's accurate, but I'm willing to be wrong if you have insight!

By adding it to the skimmer, while in a sock, it still needs to go through the pump through the sand filter then back to the pool. The sand filter will slowly release it to the pool via the returns. Do not backwash for at least a few days. Check the CYA level again in a few days.
Oh, that might be the problem. I've been vacuuming a lot and so, backwashing a lot too.

I'll do one or two more rounds of vacuuming, then give it a break while I work on the CYA. I'm finally at the point of not having all my chlorine eaten up overnight and my water is blue, if cloudy.

Yeah, give it another day or two. Once dissolved it should read fairly quickly, but let's see, Use the info below for your next CYA test.

CYA Testing:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. If it helps, pour a little, look away, then look back and pour some more. Some people like to squirt enough solution to go line-by-line for a better feel. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading. If you are still questioning your own results, have a friend or two do the same test 2-3 times. Share your results only after everyone is done to see if you came up with the same average results.

Reactions: ateevans
How l
Oh, that might be the problem. I've been vacuuming a lot and so, backwashing a lot too.

I'll do one or two more rounds of vacuuming, then give it a break while I work on the CYA. I'm finally at the point of not having all my chlorine eaten up overnight and my water is blue, if cloudy.
Try hanging the sock in front of the return (away from pool wall). That will mix it faster with the pool water and avoid high CYA concentrations in you skimmer if you pump stops for any reason.

Yeah, give it another day or two. Once dissolved it should read fairly quickly, but let's see, Use the info below for your next CYA test.

CYA Testing:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. If it helps, pour a little, look away, then look back and pour some more. Some people like to squirt enough solution to go line-by-line for a better feel. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading. If you are still questioning your own results, have a friend or two do the same test 2-3 times. Share your results only after everyone is done to see if you came up with the same average results.
Thanks for the extremely clear instructions!

I'll play with it tomorrow and do several readings til I feel confident, and see where we are.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.