CYA won’t raise up and TDS really high

Augi

May 8, 2018
Austin, TX
details about pool are 15,000 in ground chlorine pool (with hot tub).

tested levels and here’s what I have:

chlorine is 1.5
PH is 7.6
TA is 90
CH is 330
CYA is 15 according to pool store (I tested with my FAS-DPD chlorine kit and couldn’t get reading because it’s too low)

Seems like every time I get water tested my CYA is super low (10-20 range). I’ve added pucks recently to help raise it a bit but really no luck. I’ve purchased and added 3 gallons of conditioner over the past 2 months and nothing really helping. They’ve recommended that I empty my pool and start over. Not sure really what to think about that. They say that it’ll help with getting rid of the Total Dissolved Solids (currently at 3900) which is the likely cause of low CYA and the high use of chlorine this past summer.

The reason I even started down this path is becaude I couldn’t keep chlorine levels up in pool at one stretch during summer. It would only last a day. They’ve recommended I switch from liquid chlorine over to the powder shock too because liquid chlorine leaves “something” behind once it dissolves.

Should I go ahead and empty pool to get TDS back to normal and CYA in range?

Really appreciate any feedback provided.

Augi

Wow, pool store's really selling you quite the line. Chasing pointless numbers and feeding you some story about liquid chlorine adding "stuff" to your pool and selling you on solid chlorine that adds much more "stuff" that you don't need. Got you running in circles and paying them for the privilege. TDS the cause of low CYA? :laughblue:

Wouldn't be happening if you hadn't had them test your water and give you advice. Which is one of many reasons we specifically say "don't get your water tested at pool stores".

I'm just going to ignore everything they told you, you should do the same from now on. If your CYA test is getting cloudy then you have some CYA. Using PoolMath (the app or the webpage linked in my signature) to calculate the amount of powdered CYA to add to get you from 0 to your target. If your CYA test is completely clear then add that entire amount. If your CYA test is cloudy then add about 2/3 and retest after it has completely dissolved. Liquid CYA can be used if you insist, but it will take more.

Once your CYA is in check it will protect your chlorine from sunlight and it will last longer. It really is that simple, the pool store is steering you wrong at every point. Sadly that's what they do best...

Reactions: Augi
Wow, pool store's really selling you quite the line. Chasing pointless numbers and feeding you some story about liquid chlorine adding "stuff" to your pool and selling you on solid chlorine that adds much more "stuff" that you don't need. Got you running in circles and paying them for the privilege. TDS the cause of low CYA? :laughblue:

Wouldn't be happening if you hadn't had them test your water and give you advice. Which is one of many reasons we specifically say "don't get your water tested at pool stores".

I'm just going to ignore everything they told you, you should do the same from now on. If your CYA test is getting cloudy then you have some CYA. Using PoolMath (the app or the webpage linked in my signature) to calculate the amount of powdered CYA to add to get you from 0 to your target. If your CYA test is completely clear then add that entire amount. If your CYA test is cloudy then add about 2/3 and retest after it has completely dissolved. Liquid CYA can be used if you insist, but it will take more.

Once your CYA is in check it will protect your chlorine from sunlight and it will last longer. It really is that simple, the pool store is steering you wrong at every point. Sadly that's what they do best...

I should know better but you are correct...have me running in circles chasing some numbers. I’ll take your advice and grab some powder/granulated CYA and just go from there. Thank you for the sound advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.