CYA won't go up

JohnA7682

May 26, 2020
Magnolia, DE
Taylor 2006 - already through 1 bottle of R-0013 (I see now why I should've purchased the 2006C.. refills already on the way).
27' round AG - 15,000gal
Current numbers -

FC-2.7
pH-6.9ish (slightly less than 7 per the scale)
TA-70
CH-100
CYA- right at 30 yesterday, <30 this morning after added 2lbs stabilizer.

Current season history - First season opening my pool (terrible cover plus foliage dump into pool while opening, pool was a swamp. vacuumed to waste and skimmed everything I could. added 2 lbs shock, ran 24 hours, vacuumed to waste, added 2 more.
Algae seemed to die, pool cloudy, went to a pool store the following weekend. On Saturday morning (MDW), they gave me 2 more lbs of shock, 8 lbs of something to adjust alkalinity. Told me that should raise my pH as well. pH has not changed at all, went back next day, they gave me a bottle of hydrofloc and told me it was my best bet. WOOF. Did it, water cleared, vacuumed to waste, as soon as the filter came back on, clouds.

Found TFP, did a deep dive in research here, ordered the kit, ordered some liquid chlorine and stabilizer (Walmart was the only local place that any, as I kind of don't ever want to go back to that pool store). Bought 20 Mule from a supermarket, and I'm ready to go.

Added 2 lbs dry stabilizer required by the calculator, no change, looks like it even dropped. Pool is cloudy, I brush brush brush but the greenish/brown on the walls will not budge. Pool was very well maintained by previous owner so all of this is new (I know I have to adjust the pH but don't want to do it without any advice first).

Ok that was lengthy. I've already spent a fortune this season (not including the water bill that I haven't seen yet) so I'm trying to simplify this as best as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Give the stabilizer some time before testing for it, maybe 24 hours or so. CYA test is somewhat subjective so can vary a little. I usually run the same sample 3 or 4 times and take an average if they differ very much.

For FC test use 10ml and one scoop powder, multiply drop result by .5 Save on reagent and plenty good enough on accuracy. :)

How are you chlorinating? Any tabs still in the pool? If not you can aerate to raise the pH. If tabs are still in the pool, they’re acidic.

OK - if you take those out and use liquid only, you can aerate the pool to raise the pH. The TA is plenty high to provide the pH rise with the CO2 offgassing that aeration will provide.

Liquid chlorine is neutral in pH, but natural offgassing of CO2 will cause a pH rise over time. Aeration will accelerate the process.

As Msch99 said, your CYA may take a couple of days to show up on the test but you can assume it's in the pool and raise your FC with liquid chlorine appropriately. The tabs will add more CYA so that's another reason to remove them and use liquid chlorine only for now.

Alright, so, I've removed the chlorine tabs and turned my jets to point UP, as well as turning on the weird stone dolphin statue/fountain that the old homeowner left. I'm assuming by research that aeration won't take super long and that I should test often?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.