CYA went from 40 to like 20

Jun 6, 2018
Parkersburg, WV
So I think I have a pin hole somewhere in my pool because I have been losing a good amount of water over a few day period and I have looked the pool up and down and I can't find it but since I have noticed the water disappearing I have been having to put new water in to keep it above the skimmer and now my CYA is like 20 if that. Is there a way to get it up to a normal level??

Is there a way to get it up to a normal level??
Adding CYA: To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Adding CYA: To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

I put stabilizer in but I just put it directly in the skimmer. It that not a good idea?

I put stabilizer in but I just put it directly in the skimmer. It that not a good idea?
We discourage that for a couple reason. First, stabilizer is acidic and if poured at the skimmer that acidity goes directly to the pump. The other reason is that the stabilizer granules will end-up sitting in the filter. It will take longer for them to dissolve, and in some cases may get rinsed out before they dissolve. So for future reference, simply use the sock method. :)

It seems like a leak on a 15' AG would be fairly easy to find.....no wet spots on the ground? No wet sides?

Regardless, as long as your pool is leaking you will NEVER be able to stabilize your chemistry and will have to continue to add and re-add throughout the swim season.

I have found the leak. It was in a connection part of the pump. I now think I will be needing to close the pool soon because it's almost winter time here. My test results tonight were....

FC- 5
CC - 0
PH 7.6
CYA - 40

Are there results good enough to close down the pool for the year? I'm asking because I'm not too good at closing the pool. I tried last year with a tarp and somehow part of it got blown away and the pool was black when I opened it up this year so I bought a new one. I got a good cover this year so hoping all works well come next Spring.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.