CYA Reagent R13

tmartini27

Jul 27, 2018
DALLAS, TX
Hi All,

Is it possible for the Taylor reagant R13 to lose effectiveness but still be within expiration date? I bought a refill bottle online and the expiration date is 6/20 but when I tested it appears that my CYA has gone from 60 to less than 30. This is the first time I've used from this bottle and I highly doubt my cya dropped by 30 points in 2 months. Thoughts? I'm planning on hitting the pool store tomorrow to double check. Thanks!

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Typically the R0013 is the most stable reagent. But also should be ware of unknown sellers on the internet.

We suggest getting reagents from TFTestkits.net. You can be assured the reagents are fresh from that source.

Also, it is possible to have a drop in CYA during the summer months. Higher water temperature accelerates the CYA degradation. Also any overflow due to rain can lower the CYA.

I would not bother with the pool store. The one test they rarely get correct is the CYA.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
That is odd. Where did you buy?

Grasping at straws ... maybe try shaking up the reagent bottle? I would not think it would stratify, but .....

tmartini27

Jul 27, 2018
DALLAS, TX
Bought on amazon from seller with good reviews. I tried shaking bottle and did 2 seperate tests. We did get a foot of rain last week but I didn't think we'd lose that much!