CYA reading under 10 after 2 tests.

Mar 26, 2017
Greenville SC
Hey guys. I'm getting ready to open my pool soon so I did a CYA test with my Taylor test kit. The pool has been untouched with any additives since last season including not being covered and only running the pump in freezing conditions. CYA was at 40 last season. Both CYA tests I did recently read at 10 or under. Is this possible? I've always been under the impression that CYA simply does not go away. I've bought 4 lbs of Clorox stabilizer but I don't want to go dumping this stuff in since draining is the only way to get a high level down. Should I test again?

It's very possible, about every other winter "eats" my CYA. Add enough to add 20 if you think there is some cloudiness in the test and then retest to see where you are at.

I just posted this same issue on another thread and was told this is not unusual because the CYA does oxidize. Where ever we got the impression that it stays constant unless you have splash out or over flow is wrong and should be "updated".

Even without replacing water CYA can fall off ~3ppm/month IIRC. It's just that someone with a very high level would have to wait an unreasonably long time it to decrease significantly so water replacement is necessary.

Ok Im back with a question. I watched a youtube video on how to add CYA and with the first 4lbs jug I just removed the filter basket and slowly poured the CYA in there. Upon getting a 2nd jug, I can see that quite a bit has settled in the bottom of the basket area and I had to stir it up for the raised pipe to suck it in. Is it better to pour the stuff around the edges of the deep end like you do bleach? Or did I simply add it too quickly so it settled along the bottom? I'm looking at needing to add another full 4 lbs container of CYA to get my level to 30.

Yea, the video you watch d is not a recomended method the add CYA. At this,point don’t backwash your filter for a week at least as you now have CYA sitting in the filter.

We recommend pouring it into an old sock and suspending it in the water to dissolve. You can squeeze the sock a few times each day to help it dissolve.

I would,hold off adding any more until you can see what your levels are after it dissolves.

The recommended method is putting it in a sock and then in your skimmer or hang it in front of a return. You can squeeze the sock every so often to speed up the dissolving process. In your case it may take a few days to dissolve in your filter. Don't back wash for a while otherwise you will probably lose a bunch that hasn't dissolved.

The recommended method is putting it in a sock and then in your skimmer or hang it in front of a return. You can squeeze the sock every so often to speed up the dissolving process. In your case it may take a few days to dissolve in your filter. Don't back wash for a while otherwise you will probably lose a bunch that hasn't dissolved.

Just so were clear are we talking about a skimmer sock or an actual foot sock?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Foot sock, generally one of the wife’s. Swear you have no idea where it went to. Or, when you are done just toss it in the wash.....

:lol:

Would it be a waste of time to test CYA tomorrow if I added 4 lbs Tuesday? I have another 4 lbs jug I bought but upon advice am waiting to add it. CYA was noticeably higher but still doesn't register at 20 as of this morning. I'm using the black dot style CYA test.

Only reason I'm antsy is due to the pollen and recent warm weather the pool has went from perfectly clear 2 weeks ago to cloudy enough to almost occlude the main drain.

If it was fully dissolved by Wednesday it should show up today. Pool Math tells me 8 lbs will raise CYA by 51, I would undershoot that a little bit, for a non-SWG pool in our area 50 is about as high I would recommend anyone going.

If your pool is cloudy you don’t want to add more CYA at this time. Run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test as cloudy usually = SLAM Process

Yeah a SLAM is what I was planning on doing since I neglected to do anything to the pool over the winter since last season. It has probably been 4-5 months since I've actively added any bleach to the pool. The water has stayed clear until recently. I can run the overnight test but I'm pretty sure theres probably no chlorine in the water. If my intention is to do a SLAM, should I go ahead and add bleach? The only reason I bought CYA is so any bleach I bought for the slam/season wouldn't be immediately used up.

I would add enough bleach to raise the FC to 10 right now and then when it gets dark add enough bleach to raise the FC to 10 again and continue running the pool tonight to perform the OCLT. If the pool passes the OCLT and the water is clear then maintain the FC at a minimum of 2ppm for another week. If it fails the OCLT then perform the SLAM process.

I could take a good week for the CYA to dissolve in the filter so don't add any more for at least a week. Never broadcast it in the pool as it is acidic and could damage the pool surface if it sits on it.

If you need to SLAM (and it sounds like you do) adding more CYA will be a detriment and require you to increase the FC level (read use more chlorine). I would recommend you get the pool under control first before adding any more CYA. A CYA of 30 is fine and it will probably continue to rise as it dissolves in the filter area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.