CYA reading off the charts??? Maybe??

Rocco1040

Apr 30, 2018
Lake Jackson
So I got my Taylor K-2006C test kit in. I tested my CYA and I lost sight of the black dot in the test tube before it even hit 100. Could it be this high? What are my next steps?

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Put in 3 parts water and 1 part pool water and redo the test. Multiuply your result by 4 to get a rough idea.

Yes, it can certainly be that high......likely from use of pucks.

Your following step will be to drain off the pool and refill to get cYA in the desired range.

Rocco1040

Apr 30, 2018
Lake Jackson
Ok reran the test once I did the multiplier it was about 132. What would be the amount of water needed to drain? I have about a 19000 gallon above the ground pool.

DeanP66

Mar 26, 2014
San Jose, CA
You need about a 50 - 60% drain and refill. that should bring you down to a CYA of 50 or so and then just maintain FC in the right range for the corresponding CYA as per the CYA/FC chart.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Drain 50%, refill and retest. refilling will blend the water nicely but run your pump (once you can) for a few hours to make sure.

Rocco1040

Apr 30, 2018
Lake Jackson
Also I have been battling what I thought was mustard algae but could be tree pollen. I have a giant 100yr live oak in my front yard and a massive pecan in my backyard by the pool. So I’ve been battling this for months now and have spent a small fortune on chemicals. But I noticed the other morning after the pump wasn’t running that it was not on the bottom. So I backwashed and rinsed twice. Turned my filter back on and a few hours later it was back. I then got in the pool and made a whirlpool and got it all stirred up. Let the pump run for a few hours and killed it. Next morning nothing on the bottom. I turned the filter back on and a few hours later it was back. Could this be something that is just bypassing the filter? Why is it not there when the pump is not running?

Last edited:

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Just a guess, but it sounds like dead algae to me. The flow of water across the pool bottom (when the pump is running) allows the dead algae to "pile up" along creases and in low spots. Pump not running the dead algae settles to the floor in a layer too thin and uniform for you to see it.

You probably need to SLAM the pool but you must post your current test results so we can see where you are. What does your water look like now?

Rocco1040

Apr 30, 2018
Lake Jackson
The water is crystal clear. Just this nonsense on the bottom when the pump is running. I will drain 50% of pool, refill, and then retest and post all my numbers and we can go from there.

Rocco1040

Apr 30, 2018
Lake Jackson
I have zeolite filter media. I recently opened my filter up and rinsed it all out with clean water to make sure no media was passing through and that did not remedy the problem at all.

Jun 22, 2017
Baxley, GA
Do you have a pool vacuum? You could run it for a couple hours when you can visibly see the stuff on the bottom and it should suck it up and remove it from your pool. If it comes back then, its algae. If it doesn't come back, probably dirt/clay. I had what I thought was algae in the creases of my liner when I opened this year, except every test pointed to no algae and the water itself looked perfect. Turned out it was just dirt and clay that looked a little brown.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, can you add your pool stats like equipment, size, accessories, etc to your signature?

Rocco1040

Apr 30, 2018
Lake Jackson
I do have a vacuum and I do run it. It will pick it up but then come back a few days later. Just wondering why it isn’t there with the pump not running. Pump has been off now for 48hrs as a test and it’s still not there.

Rocco1040

Apr 30, 2018
Lake Jackson
Ok drained 50+% of the water and refilled the pool. Pump has been on for almost 24hrs now.

FC-4.6
CC-.2
PH-7.4
CYA-60
AK-90
CH-300

We cleaned and vacuumed so much stuff off the bottom and the bottom is again covered in the algae or whatever it is.

I want to start the slam process. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Rocco1040

Apr 30, 2018
Lake Jackson
The only reason I want to slam is because I have been battling this algae or whatever it is on the bottom. It just keeps coming back. Been dumping in yellow stuff algaecide and pounds and pounds of shock. Goes away but then comes back. May have been from the 130+ CYA reading though.

DeanP66

Mar 26, 2014
San Jose, CA
Now that you have your CYA in check, don't put in any more shock powders or hard chlorine. Stick with liquid chlorine so your CYA won't climb back up to where it was before. Also don't use any more algaecides. They are only a preventative. They won't do anything if you already have algae, and they can have adverse affects with ingredients that could harm your pool like copper.

Go ahead and SLAM your pool. Bring the FC up to 24 and follow the SLAM procedures. If your water is clear, it shouldn't take too long. Once you think you maybe be done, you should perform an OCLT to verify that you aren't losing any FC overnight.

DeanP66

Mar 26, 2014
San Jose, CA
Brush the walls and pool floor plus any nooks and crannies where algae could be hiding like a pool light or stairs. Test the FC every couple of hours and when it drops below 24, redose it back to 24. Rinse and repeat. POP (pool owner patience) is a must. Let the SLAM do its thing.