CYA quick ?

scout123

Bronze Supporter
Feb 18, 2018
Northwest GA
Can CYA drop to 0 after almost 2 years of no pool maintenance?

Pool is 18x36 about 32,000 gallons. My aunt put the pool in about 35 years ago. For as long as I can remember she took care of the pool with pucks and weekly shock. She passed away 2 years ago and my cousin moved into the house. We took the pool cover off yesterday and, of course, the pool is green. The cover has been on the pool almost 2 years with nothing being done to it. I knew the FC would be 0, but I tested the CYA with my Taylor test kit and never lost sight of the black dot filling the thing to the top. The only reason I tested CYA is bc I thought with years of using the pucks, the CYA might be high, but seems it's 0. Could that be right? Thanks

Yep. Pools fairly regularly lose CYA over the winter, so over two years it is not surprising at all.

Good luck bringing it back to life, it will be a challenging but fulfilling exercise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.