CYA questions

Ok so i have been reading and now know that the CYA takes a long time to disolve, so I have it hanging in a nylon that is attached to a clean empty soda bottle bouy (sp?) style.

how long will it take to see results, I would like to avoid putting in too much and having to drain and start over so far It has only been 3 days but i have seen little to no difference in CYA levels.

If it is helpful the water seams to glisten and is clear allthough after swimming it clouds up for a few hours after swimming not sure if that is normal (1st year with a pool)

We leave the filter on pretty much all the time, and at the current time all i have is the crappy test strips HTH 6way so here is the results I have available.

TH 200
FC 5
PH aprox 6.8 -7.2
TA 180
CYA 0+ (not up to 30-50 yet) but slight change in the color on the strip
temp if it matters is around 70-75 and we have a few back swimmers that have started to "swim" in our pool but not many

probably TMI but the wholepool thing is new to me and I learn more everyday :)

Welcome to TFP!

CYA can take up to a week to dissolve and this is why we don't recommend checking it for a week after introducing it. I haven't seen that method of adding CYA before but I would think that it would work. It might just be a little slower. Many here will put it in a sock and hang the sock in front of a return to add it. Some mix it with water into a slurry and put it in a skimmer.

Have you checked into getting a good kit. You need to be able to test for FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, and CYA. I would take a look at the Test Kit Comparison page to see the good comprehensive kits out there. Also, since you have an Intex pool, look at the Temporary Pool Guide as it will really help you out.

leopardjunkie, FWIW i have a cartidge filter just as you do and tried to add stabilizer in front of the pool returns and it was taking forever to dissolve. i've just started pouring a little bit at a time into the skimmer. for example a 4 lb box of stabilizer took me about an hour or so by adding that way. per the above advice, it does take about a week to register. if you are planning on cleaning your filters anytime soon then i wouldn't add it via the skimmer.

Good point by ajones02 and I wouldn't recommend adding CYA via the skimmer route with an Intex setup as those little pumps and filters are not designed to handle something like that. The sock method is best for that setup.

I have found it is actually disolving quite well maybe that is not good, or maybe the nylon bouy rocks?!?

So from the responses I am understanding that even after it appears to be disolved it can take aprox a week to register...Or is that it take about a week to disolve and register.

if it is disolved but still takes a week to register than I probably screwed it up. :rant:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.