CYA Mixing Bottle

foosh

Jul 3, 2014
Chattanooga, TN
I've lost my CYA mixing bottle during my move. I just received my TF100 refill kit and didn't notice I was missing the bottle. Anyone know how many mL's of pool water and reagent are required for the test?

Bvacchiano

Apr 6, 2018
Sugar Land, Texas
I really don’t like the TF100 mixing bottle. It says to fill water to the bottom of the label. That’s great except every mixing bottle I’ve ever gotten has a crooked label. I would really like to see a volume scale on the bottle itself or just a line all the way around. I’m guessing a ML or two won’t make that big of a difference but who knows.

gorocket1981

Jun 8, 2018
Montreal, Canada
You can buy the Taylor mixing bottle.
Depending on the comparator tube you have and up to which value you can test, get the one you need.
Taylor 9191: 7 ml / 14 ml
Taylor 9194: 15 ml / 30 ml

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
That’s great except every mixing bottle I’ve ever gotten has a crooked label.
TFTestkits will happily send you a mixing bottle with a straight label if you let them know (how many crooked ones have you gotten, anyway?)

Or you could simply fill to the middle of the bottom line on the label, splitting the difference........and you are right, it will make absolutely no difference in your test result. Nevertheless, you are entitled to a straight label and they will get it to you if you ask.

MyAZPool

Gold Supporter
Jul 3, 2018
Arizona
Just curious how many other's feel the Blue Devil CYA test kit is better/easier to interpret/more accurate than the Taylor and why?
r.

Last edited:

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
My understanding is that the Blue Devil works fine if you are targeting a CYA of 60 and under. Above that level it does not provide the precision needed. Or you need to do a dilute test if you are running a higher CYA.

MyAZPool

Gold Supporter
Jul 3, 2018
Arizona
My understanding is that the Blue Devil works fine if you are targeting a CYA of 60 and under. Above that level it does not provide the precision needed. Or you need to do a dilute test if you are running a higher CYA.
Marty,
Thank you. That is valuable information to me. Sounds as if the Blue Devil would be fine if I didn't use a SWG (30-50 CYA target). But since I'm running a SWG, I attempt to target 75 for my CYA. Maybe I better just stick with what I have (Taylor).
Thanks again for the very useful information.
Take care...
r.

jmikeb

Gold Supporter
Aug 4, 2017
stillwater oklahoma
to me, the taylor version does not let enough light into the tube. i had problems with reflections in the tube as well.
i have not tried the tf kit version, so i’ll reserve comment.
i also have no problem reading the higher cya levels with the blue devil
imho

mike