CYA loss

May 1, 2010
Test results

FC 2
CYA 20 or less hard to tell
PH 7.5
Water temp 90
TA 100

I seem to be losing CYA. It's been really hot I've been adding about 1/2 - 1 inch of water every other day and running a sprinkler attached to the outside pool water spigot (used to be for a slide) to try and keep the water temp below 90. My FC has been dropping from about 7-5FC to 2FC each day - I'm adding about 1 182oz jug a day in the evenings. The water is clear and sparkly and I seem to have a grip on the chemistry but I was wondering a few things:
1. a friend said his eyes burned a little the other day - should I bump the PH up to 7.8 or leave it as is? No one else has complained, the only thing I've noticed different is my skin has been kinda itchy in the water, but that could be from all these bugs!
2. I have a big tub of 3" trichlor pucks - could I add some of those to raise my CYA since they are just sitting around? If so how many?
Thanks!

YOu could use the pucks but they add the CYA pretty slowly. You are currently losing a lot of Chlorine because your CYA is almost non-existant.

I would suggest adding enough CYA to bring it up to around 40-50ppm and your FC loss will diminish dramatically.

Save the pucks for vacations, etc. They'll last a very long time.

No, you don't need to take it out for swimming. The amount of time stabilizer takes to dissolve varies somewhat. Sometimes it is gone from the sock overnight other times it takes several days. It is best to give it a full week before testing the CYA level again, just to be sure it is entirely dissolved, even if it vanishes from the sock quickly. On the other hand, you can start treating the pool as if all of the CYA was present after 24 hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.