CYA levels and FC

HawaiiPoolGuy

In The Industry
Apr 22, 2015
Waikoloa Hawaii
I'm about to get very unpopular. I'm picturing folks driving around, listening to their 8-tracks in their AMC Gremlins, imagining how perfect 80 ppm CYA is . Folks, come into the new century already (I'll explain after I get flamed)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HawaiiPoolGuy

In The Industry
Apr 22, 2015
Waikoloa Hawaii
Amg.....1.5 FC @ 7.4 pH & 15 CYA is doing significantly more work sanitizing your pool than 5 FC @ 7.6 @ 80 CYA ( unless someone really wants to put forth the argument that the hypochlorite ion is an effective sanitizer/oxidizer)

Mod note: poster is recommending a CYA level of 15 during summer in a pool in Phoenix, AZ. Posts moved to Agree to Disagree for further discussion with anyone who is interested. pooldv

pooldv

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2012
FL panhandle
What we teach at TFP is based on the science learned and taught by Ben Powell and Richard Faulk, cited in the article in Aqua Magazine. Credit is given to them at the bottom of this page, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. This is also where we recommend CYA levels of 70-80 for saltwater pools.

tommyd123

Jun 28, 2013
Augusta, GA
I am no expert, but it seems that the articles you posted reinforce what is taught on this forum. You may be correct that your 1.5ppm FC@ 15ppm CYA is "doing more work", but the issue is trying to maintain that 1.5 ppm effectively with normal bather load and sunlight. Also, with your recommended level of 15ppm CYA, you will more than likely use a higher amount of chlorine to maintain your 1.5ppm FC, and you are also at risk of wide FC swings, as a percentage of FC. The CYA levels recommended on this site buffer against wide swings in FC, and allow for greater accuracy when testing and dosing for FC, when using convenient and affordable testing and dosing methods.

Your response, OP?

Donldson

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio
Um, pools didn't use stabilized chlorine in the early 70's. That would be the time when 8-tracks we're popular. Gremlins never were all that popular though, we really just remember them because of the name.

Just as well since you are posting articles that were based on the work of the forefathers of TFPC. Seems you are a bit confused all around. Perhaps if you try asking questions in a less aggressive (and ill informed about the 70's) way you could start a constructive dialogue?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
HawaiiPoolGuy,

Your posts make no sense. Richard Falk was instrumental in developing the methods and chemistry we teach. Yet, you quote him as if we don't know anything about what he is saying.

Either you simply didn't bother to read the links you posted or you have some other agenda........can you help us understand?

A note of caution.....we are a teaching forum.....not an arguing forum. If you are here to argue the chemistry or the methods, you will have to find another forum. If you are here to learn what we are saying and make contributions to say it even better, you are welcome

Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
G Testing and Balancing Your Water 1
M Testing and Balancing Your Water 4
26venus Algae - Prevention and Treatment 3

Other Threads of Interest