CYA Level Issue

Jul 23, 2018
CT
First, I'd like to thank all of you for your help last year. I learned a ton from this site and was able to get my pool from covered to swimmable in 5 days this year vs. 3 weeks last year.

I'm having issues with my CYA. Last year it was at 50, just at the high end of ok. This year, I can't get an accurate reading because I can still see the dot when the tube is completely full of the mixture. I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong or how the CYA dropped so much over the winter. I've added enough stabilizer to bring the CYA from 20 to 30 three separate times but I'm still able to see the dot. I'm using a knee-high sock to hold the stabilizer and am hanging it into my pool in front of the only return jet. The sock seems to empty in a day or so. I am holding the tube at my waist level with my back to the sun. I tend to test more in the middle of the afternoon rather than at high-noon, simply due to availability. I test a couple days after adding the stabilizer. I went through the rest of my Taylor kit's test liquid and bought another, so I don't think the solution was bad. I stopped using the stabilizer that was open and instead switched to an unopened container. The "new" one would have been bought at least a couple years ago, I didn't need to use any of the stuff that was left for me last year. Does stabilizer go bad? Any other ideas regarding why I can't seem to raise the level? I'm worried about adding too much stabilizer since I have a well and water-replacement is not a good option for me.

Stabilizer does not go bad as long as it has been kept dry.

What does your water look like? When you opened, did the pool take a lot of chlorine to get started?

Can you post a full set of test results?

Ok. Both tubs were closed and in a plastic storage area. The new one was also heavily wrapped in cellophane.

Here are my test results

3.0 TC
0.2 CC
7.6 pH
80 CH
? CYA

I'm not sure whether the chlorine was a lot. The pool was much better than last year when I couldn't see the bottom. It was almost entirely clear after 24 hours and I kept up the slam (10 ppm TC) until the water was crystal clear and I could pass the overnight CL test. The people who opened my pool put 3.5 gallons of chlorine in. I've since used about 4.5 gallons. I've been putting an average of 4 cups of liquid 12.5% chlorine in every day since stopping the slam and letting the chlorine come back to normal range. I add enough to bring it to 6ppm every night and it's between 2 and 3 when I check it the following evening. I've been treating it as 30CYA for chlorine levels under the assumption that it would get up to that level with the added stabilizer.

Just to check, how much stabilizer have you added so far since opening? The weight amount.

I bought a scale and it arrived today. I should be able to better track my cya additions going forward.

However, I have a potential complication. Now that there is a lot less pollen and seeds floating around, I've put a hairnet around my skimmer basket to trap stuff before it gets to the filter. When I emptied it yesterday, it was covered in blue. Is this algae? I've previously thought that algae was always green. If it is algae, could it be the cause of my cya issue or are they separate? If this is algae, I'll start the slam process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.