CYA is too high in new pool

Jul 15, 2018
Austin, TX
We have a 15000 gal pool (gunite) and our CYA is way too high in the 300 ppm + range. I know how to lower it through dilution but am wondering how much water I actually should drain. We drained 2.5" below the tiles and refilled - this did nothing. :(

From reading I am understanding that this is why my chlorine is seemingly low all the time even after we add. Currently we are only using liquids as much as possible secondary to issues with hard water deposits (pool company friend said this was a good start to alleviate the build up). I am using only liquid chlorine and Beautec. It is also my understanding that alkalinity will be off until we fix with the CYA level. Pool store tried to sell us alkalinity "fixers" after testing our water. I declined.

We are new to this whole pool game but am confident I can keep doing it on my own! :) TIA for any input. Mainly just trying to understand the following:
-how much water needs to be drained to decrease CYA levels
-test kit recommended (using strips currently)
-what are ways to reduce phosphate levels

Thank you! Stay healthy and distanced!! :)

This are the Test Kits Compared, use PoolMath to guide you to your recommended levels. Dont relay on poolstore testing and never buy what they recommend. Go to ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry to learn more. Dilution of your CYA is exactly a proportional value. So for 30 CYA you would need to drain 95% or more if its exaclty 300ppm. So a 100% refill is in order. Fill your signature with your pool specs so we can help you better.

Welcome! :wave: I would recommend the TF-100, but the Taylor K-2006C is also a very good kit. Both will give you everything you need. You can pretty-much ignore the phosphates concern. Not worth the money or effort to try and manage. Not sure how you estimated your CYA to be over 300, but I don't doubt it's high. You should go to our CYA Testing page once you receive one of those proper test kits and do the diluted test starting at Step #8. Then you'll be better equipped to know how much water to exchange. Simple math - a 50% change of water should reduce the CYA by 50%. I like easy math. :)

Don't get too overwhelmed with specific numbers for each test level. You'll go nuts. :crazy: But definitely understand the FC/CYA Levels and and review the other Vital Links in my signature. Those all come into play. Once you get your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C, post a full set of numbers and we'll be happy to coach you from there.

This are the Test Kits Compared, use PoolMath to guide you to your recommended levels. Dont relay on poolstore testing and never buy what they recommend. Go to ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry to learn more. Dilution of your CYA is exactly a proportional value. So for 30 CYA you would need to drain 95% or more if its exaclty 300ppm. So a 100% refill is in order. Fill your signature with your pool specs so we can help you better.
thank you - can you tell me what pool specs are best to post? I am a complete newbie and trying to immerse myself in this so I can be successful!! Thanks

Welcome! :wave: I would recommend the TF-100, but the Taylor K-2006C is also a very good kit. Both will give you everything you need. You can pretty-much ignore the phosphates concern. Not worth the money or effort to try and manage. Not sure how you estimated your CYA to be over 300, but I don't doubt it's high. You should go to our CYA Testing page once you receive one of those proper test kits and do the diluted test starting at Step #8. Then you'll be better equipped to know how much water to exchange. Simple math - a 50% change of water should reduce the CYA by 50%. I like easy math. :)

Don't get too overwhelmed with specific numbers for each test level. You'll go nuts. :crazy: But definitely understand the FC/CYA Levels and and review the other Vital Links in my signature. Those all come into play. Once you get your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C, post a full set of numbers and we'll be happy to coach you from there.

Attachments

• 42464F37-F608-476A-BE2B-EAE9DDA9DC31.jpeg
    42464F37-F608-476A-BE2B-EAE9DDA9DC31.jpeg
    388.6 KB · Views: 23
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.