CYA - is it really needed?

Chungus

Gold Supporter
Jul 14, 2019
Texas
My pool has a SWG and an automatic cover. I would say most days it is open maybe three hours typically in the evenings. It has been full about four months and we have never added CYA and our FC always tests normal with the SWG set at 50%.

I asked my PB, scary I know, but he said none of his customers with covers use CYA, and that it is mainly necessary to protect the chlorine from sun degradation on uncovered pools.

What reading I have done makes it seem that CYA is somewhat tricky to balance and if you get too much it hinders the chlorine’s ability to sanitize.

So I guess my question is does CYA do anything else other than protect the chlorine from the sun? If my chlorine levels are always good do I even need it particularly since my pool is covered around 21 hours a day?

C,

Without about 20 to 30 ppm of CYA the chlorine feels a lot more harsh on your skin...

That said, it you don't have a problem with the way your pool is working, then I see no reason to change.

The only thing "tricky" about CYA is when people use 3" tablets and don't realize the each tablet is half CYA.. and they let it build up and up in their pools.. That is when it becomes an issue.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the reply. The chlorine doesn’t bother my skin nor have I heard anyone complain. So if the chlorine levels stay consistent there really is no reason to fool with the CYA is what I am gathering from your reply.

My pool has a SWG and an automatic cover. I would say most days it is open maybe three hours typically in the evenings. It has been full about four months and we have never added CYA and our FC always tests normal with the SWG set at 50%.

I asked my PB, scary I know, but he said none of his customers with covers use CYA, and that it is mainly necessary to protect the chlorine from sun degradation on uncovered pools.

What reading I have done makes it seem that CYA is somewhat tricky to balance and if you get too much it hinders the chlorine’s ability to sanitize.

So I guess my question is does CYA do anything else other than protect the chlorine from the sun? If my chlorine levels are always good do I even need it particularly since my pool is covered around 21 hours a day?
To make things more confusing read this. I am confused too. New Thinking: Chlorine/Cyanuric Acid in Balance

C,

Without about 20 to 30 ppm of CYA the chlorine feels a lot more harsh on your skin...

That said, it you don't have a problem with the way your pool is working, then I see no reason to change.

The only thing "tricky" about CYA is when people use 3" tablets and don't realize the each tablet is half CYA.. and they let it build up and up in their pools.. That is when it becomes an issue.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi, Are you saying that the 3" chlorine tabs are half CYA??? Thanks. Susan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.