CYA in a saltwater pool?

23kswhtown

Aug 30, 2019
Houston texas
1st post.
I recently (2 months) purchased a house with a salt water pool. 23000 gallon in ground plaster pool. My water looks great and I'm slowly getting the hang of my chemicals.
The local pool store I go to has been telling me my CYA levels are low at 55 and want me in the 60-80 range and selling me liquid CYA. I realized that granulated is WAY cheaper and am moving towards this route. My Chlorine level is a little high and I have been turning down my Chlorine generator a bit each week to try to get to a ideal level.
My understanding is that CYA helps your Chlorine to stay longer in the pool. If my Chlorine levels are high why exactly would I need more CYA to maintain my Chlorine???
Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Hi 23,
welcome to TFP. You dont necessarily need your CYA any higher. If your SWG is keeping the FC at the right level - per TFP recommendation - then its fine.

And your understanding of CYA is correct.

I suspect the Pool Store will tell you that with CYA at any level, your FC should be 3, which is exactly wrong. The correct FC is a % of the CYA is. On the low side of the range its, 7.5. On the upper side it's 11.5. Thats for a Non Salt pool. The Salt Pool varies by a little, but the principal is still the same. Its a %, and not a specific number.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.