CYA granules sitting in deep end of plaster pool

RobHudson

Aug 25, 2020
Philadelphia, PA
Should I panic?

I screwed up when I put the CYA granules in. I dumped 6lbs of the powder in my 22k gallon plaster pool which had zero CYA. I realize now that I should have used the sock method.

All the granules are now sitting on the floor in the deep end. Do I need to vacuum ASAP? I’ve read conflicting things on whether it causes damage to plaster.

Or, do I just keep brushing my heart out?

Yes, panic. It definitely can, probably already has, stained your plaster. I can show you my stain. Two years old and still fresh as a daisy. Mine happened in seconds. Vacuum immediately. That will trap them in the filter, where they will eventually safely dissolve. Brushing will potentially just spread the damage.

Reactions: CFlaPool
Hi there Rob- Yes, those acidic granules do have a risk of discoloring your plaster. If you could vacuum them up into the filter (and NOT backwash for a week) you could let them dissolve there. That's assuming you have a sand filter- I don't know about other type of filters. Alternatively you could vac them out to waste and start again.

Maddie

Thanks guys. I forgot to respond. I ended up using my little electric pool vac to get most of it out. I figured that is the piece of equipment that I was least afraid of doing any long term damage too, since They break every couple years anyway.

Potentially dumb question, as I’m only a couple weeks away from attempting to close, is it even worth trying to balance the CYA at this point?

Don't close until the water temp is <60 degrees. This means you take care of the pool in the meantime. What's your CYA level now? If you can keep chlorine (FC) in the pool now day to day without it disappearing you should be okay.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.