CYA Gone?

it is REALLY hard to see anything below 30 CYA so you may have some or none... Just add about 1/2 of what poolmath says to get from 0 to 30 CYA and see if some is still there.. :)

Hey RS !! What kind of a cover do you use for the winter ? We get around 3ft of precipitation each off season which can be 1/2 to 2/3 of your pool volume depending on your deep end. So if it’s no cover or a mesh cover, you’ll be all but wiped out come spring.

Plus, CYA degrades 4-5 ppm monthly on its own which is unnoticeable during the season but very noticeable when you’re closed for 6 months.

And then like said above, anything under 30 is hard to read so you won’t really know if it’s 10 or 20.

Add and Aim a 20 CYA for your slam if you can get a good reading and you’ll need less chlorine to do it. If you overshoot you 30 it’s ok too. (y)

You can use the sock method to add (will take a day or 2). or just dilute/mix the powder with hot water and dump that in and brush it good. Either way you want to let it circulate for a few days so add 5ppm FC daily so the green doesn’t get any worse in the meantime.

Thanks. I have a mesh cover but I've never seen the pool this green. Almost like the algae stained it. I've been brushing and vacuuming but it's still pretty green. I'm doing the sock method but maybe I'll do what you suggested because it's taking forever to dissolve with the cold water.

Thanks. I have a mesh cover but I've never seen the pool this green
Ok so this explains the lost Chems perfectly. Expect to need a good amount of calcium and CYA top offs each spring. You PH will also be low because rain has a PH around 5, but that’s easy to raise so no biggie. (y)
I've never seen the pool this green
Could be several reasons. Some warm days mid winter is all it takes. Read up on SLAM Process and ask any questions before you start.

Ok so this explains the lost Chems perfectly. Expect to need a good amount of calcium and CYA top offs each spring. You PH will also be low because rain has a PH around 5, but that’s easy to raise so no biggie. (y)

Could be several reasons. Some warm days mid winter is all it takes. Read up on SLAM Process and ask any questions before you start.
I have used SLAM before and will shoot for that. One question about the SLAM. With my low CYA levels, 3-5 seems low? Especially with my pool as green ad it is. Is there any danger in shooting for a little higher FC level?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With my low CYA levels, 3-5 seems low?
Add CYA shooting for 20. If you had some that just was wasn’t reading, you’ll be 30 and that’s ok too.

Get your PH to 7.2 (you didn’t mention of it was high/low)

perform SLAM Process to a T based on the FC/CYA Levels. The first day or two it will chew through chlorine and you really need to test/add every 2 hours. The chlorine need usually drops by the second day and 2 hours quickly becomes 4, then 6, 12, etc. No harm in waiting until the weekend if you’ll have more time to babysit it then. Plus by Monday you’ll probably be fine with adding before work and holding most your FC until after work. Just add 5 ppm FC per the poolmath app each day so it doesn’t get any worse until you’re ready.
You mean a chlorine puck?
Yes. Aka a tab.

Is there any danger in shooting for a little higher FC level?
Follow the SLAM chart in FC/CYA Levels. It’s scientifically designed to get the most chlorine effectiveness for the least amount added. Anything over it burns off to quickly to really do anything productive. It’s not the end of the world if you ‘waste’ some extra FC, but it won’t help you either so just stick to the chart.

As always, ask away anything at anytime. We would SO much rather have one issue than the 2 or 3 that pop up if you do something you are unsure of. If it’s 3 AM our Aussie friends will probably be taking over. They talk a little funny but MAN they know their stuff. :)

So if it is a stain, what's the solution?
If it’s a stain then it’s a solid not a solution. :ROFLMAO:(Sorry.... I’ll show myself out)

@mguzzy covered you in post # 6. You probably missed it. Happens to me ALL the time lalalalalalala. Lol.

a chlorine tab / puck will probably remove it if it’s algae and a Vitimin C / Aesorbic Acid / AA tab it will probably remove iron staining.

Reactions: mguzzy
I have seen a couple of start ups this spring where they reported green staining and it turned out to be iron. The dead give away is.. "um.. I've been SLAMing for 10 weeks and it walls are still green and it won't brush off". Seems its common for some to start to see Iron staining after the pool has sat all winter. so I just wanted to rule that out. who -da-thunk.

My CYA completely disappears every winter without fail. I drop the CYA sock at the same time I bring the pool up to SLAM after opening. It all works out, and the lower SLAM LC requirements are an added bonus.

Thank you all for your help. HowevPXL_20210506_203427226.jpgPXL_20210506_203424298.jpgSo the water is clear but there's staining everywhere and I haven't had this previous years. I can't exactly hold my breath and use and orange peel or a puck to clean this. Is there any other way? Is this iron? HELP!

Stand in the shallow end and use your foot. Or reach off the patio and get that spot on the top stair. You just need to prove which one works for now to hatch a further plan.

You can have a layer of fresh rain or snow melt water in your pool. Make sure to mix your water well after opening before trusting your test results.

Matt just explained that in more detail in the "Meet the Expert" session:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.