Cya going up??

jcaj558

Oct 4, 2017
New Lenox, IL
I did a partial drain about a month ago. Got my cya down to about 85. I haven’t put anything in other than Liquid chlorine and some Lo and Slow ph reducer. I test the cya this morning and it read about a 100. Just took a sample to the pool store and they said it was 140. The use the Bioguard Alex system. Which one should I believe? With either number what could be making it go up? I use a Taylor k-2006 kit.

Unless you added something with CYA in it the level didn't change. I'd call it testing error and go from there. You can always dilute your water sample 50/50 with tap water and retest. Double the result and see if it is close to 100.

Did you have sun at your back during both tests?

I just happened to do my CYA test few days ago and initially I got 60ppm, whereas a month prior it was 50ppm. I realized that I was doing the test in shade. I moved to a sunny area and got 50ppm.

The amount of ambient light available really plays a big role in this test.

My pool store also uses the Alex system. As CYA is a rather subjective test with the test kit, I thought I'd take my sample to the pool store to compare test results. While our results have been in sync in the past, this time they said my CYA dropped from 70 to 30 in one month (no drain down or any other reason it would have gone down that much). Based on my testing I knew it was in the 60-70 range. They were completely off on my TA and pH levels as well. I don't know if it was the Alex system or employee error. I'm just glad I test my own water and "know" my pool better than they do. If I doubt the result, I'd rather retest my own work than assume the pool store results are accurate.

Reactions: wireform
I don't know if it was the Alex system or employee error.
Does it matter? The job of pool store testing is to draw in potential customers and put them in front of salespeople. Since that doesn't require accuracy calibration is not a high priority. And the salesperson's job is (brace yourself) to sell something. They aren't "water testing people", they are just doing that to get you to possibly buy something.

Pool store testing is unreliable and this thread proves is more likely to confuse than to actually help. There's no reason to do it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does it matter? The job of pool store testing is to draw in potential customers and put them in front of salespeople. Since that doesn't require accuracy calibration is not a high priority. And the salesperson's job is (brace yourself) to sell something. They aren't "water testing people", they are just doing that to get you to possibly buy something.

Pool store testing is unreliable and this thread proves is more likely to confuse than to actually help. There's no reason to do it.

The only way to raise CYA level in your pool is for you to add it. Common items are trichlor (pucks and powder), dichlor (powder), and stabilizer/conditioner (powder or liquid).

Reactions: jcaj558
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.