CYA for oversized cell

yxudous

Jun 17, 2019
quebec
From reading the stickys, I read for SWCG that the recommended CYA is 80. I also read somewhere that this is to help the SWCG keep up. I have a 12k gal pool that was originally on a hayward t9 cell.When it died, the store sold me for the same price a t15 because they were out of t9s. They said to just adjust its output lower.Does this mean that I can also get away with a lower cya? I'm not fond of having the cya as high as 80...

You can. Be sure to test your FC right before the SWCG turns on for the day to be sure you are staying above the minimum FC for your CYA.

Welcome to TFP!

You can run any combination that you wish, but there are reasons why we recommend the levels we do.
Well I just dont want to shoot myself in the foot if I ever have to shock it.Plus I think it might be safer to be as close as possible to the manufacturer recommendations if i can. For example I know many recommend borax but here in canada there is now a public health warning against it so if i dont have to use it...

Does this mean that your swcg runs on a timer?
Yes. Unless you are running your pump 24 hours per day, then the SWCG should be powered off when the pump is not running.
If you are running your pump and SWCG 24 hours per day, then test FC at sunset.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.