CYA amount in newly filled pool

Tleachhsv

Aug 7, 2020
Huntsville, AL
Hi friends,
Just got a new liner and filled my 25,000 gallon pool
I have a test kit and find that FC, TC, pH, are at the recommended level. But I have not added CYA. That level looks like 0 to me, as the black dot does not change. The Pool Math calculator seems to tell me to add 16 lbs. to my 25,000 gallon pool.
Does that seem right? I don’t want to add too much CYA. Thank you! Tom

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Welcome to the forum!
Your Poolmath data implies a SWCG. Add CYA in stages. Start with 40 ppm worth. That would be 8 lbs. Let that dissolve from the socks and circulate for a couple days and then test. Then add the balance to get to 70 ppm.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Tleachhsv

Aug 7, 2020
Huntsville, AL
Welcome to TFP! :wave: 16 lbs huh? That would take your CYA up to around 70-80. Is this a salt pool? Please update your signature so we know about your pool and equipment and include which test kit you are using. Thanks for posting.
Thanks for your great advice! Yes, it is a salt pool. I will check out my signature for updating.

Tleachhsv

Aug 7, 2020
Huntsville, AL
Welcome to the forum!
Your Poolmath data implies a SWCG. Add CYA in stages. Start with 40 ppm worth. That would be 8 lbs. Let that dissolve from the socks and circulate for a couple days and then test. Then add the balance to get to 70 ppm.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thanks for the welcome! Yes, brand new SWCG, too. I appreciate your advice. Is there a special sock to purchase?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Is there a special sock to purchase?
Nope. My wife gave me a pair of old thin knee socks she did not want anymore. Knee high panty hose work good too. You can get about 2 pounds in one sock. Hang in front of a return. Once mushy, squeeze it well and it will disperse.