CYA affect SWG Production?

kplaster

Bronze Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Randleman,NC
Does your CYA level affect chlorine production? I usually run my CYA around 50-60 during the summer.Last month I checked and it was 40.I didn't adjust sense it was close to closing.I noticed this week in the process of closing for the season when I super chlorinated it seemed to not increase chlorine like it should have.

mas985

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Pleasanton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
No, CYA level should not affect SWG production. However, it does affect FC UV extinction. So the lower the CYA, the faster the sun will burn off FC.

Reactions: kplaster

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
K,

Why would you "super-chlorinate"? I have three saltwater pools and have never used the super-chlorinate mode??

No big deal, just curious.. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

kplaster

Bronze Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Randleman,NC
No, CYA level should not affect SWG production. However, it does affect FC UV extinction. So the lower the CYA, the faster the sun will burn off FC.
Thank You,just wondering because I didn't get the result it usually provides .Had to end up dumping bleach into pool to raise FC.

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
I just use liquid chlorine when I need a fast rise in FC. I don't use the SuperChlorinate button very often as it shortens the lifespan of my cell. My first cell lasted almost 9 years so I think it helped.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.