CYA Addition Technique?

discgolfdc

Jul 22, 2018
Fairfield, Ohio
Hi, all.

Last year, when I had my pool installed, I was "blessed" with the installation of an Aqua Smarte auto-chlorinator (basically a different brand of Pool Frog with the Bac Pacs). Since joining up with TFP, since they saved my skin, I've taken any cartridge that was in it out and have never used it since.

I do have a question, though, about adding CYA through that little gizmo.

Can anyone think of a reason not to utilize that device to add CYA to a pool if you're not using it for any other purpose and if I were to simply drop a sock with the appropriate amount of CYA in it, tied off, into the chamber and crank the water throughput to full throttle? Would that not function essentially the same as suspending the sock in front of the return, for all intents and purposes?

I wanted to ask here before I launched into my experiment.

Thanks!

I see no reason why this would not work. You may want to add only a little bit of CYA in a sock and check in 24 hours to see how much has dissolved. If very little has dissolved, then you can continue with your experiment. Personally, I use the liquid CYA as the price has come down and not that much more expensive than the powdered CYA. A lot of the brands on the market recommend dumping everything through the skimmer and running the pump for 24 hours.

Thank you for the response. I have a small tub of powdered stabilizer and I've still got some left. I wasn't able to think of any reason why the addition couldn't be made that way, but there are a lot of others here who are a lot more insightful than I, so I like to pick some brains when I can. I also see my pH rising a bit (7.8 currently), so I'm going to hold off on adding any acids until my CYA comes up to my desired level. I'll re-test and check the dissolution progress as it goes, and once CYA is where it should be, I will look at pH a bit more closely. Otherwise, water is looking good.

D,

I suggest that you use a ladies Knee-High stocking.. They work a whole lot faster and better than a standard sock... Cheap to use, and you just throw them away when done.

I too see no reason not to try to use your "Frog" and see how it works. Just make sure the knee-high does not get sucked into any plumbing...

Thanks,

Jim R.

+1 what @Jimrahbe said. Seriously, the sock is so easy and with squishing it will disperse fast. Usually doesn't even take an hour or two. In the feeder, you'll have to open it and squish, then wait... or just wait. It doesn't disperse well without squishing. It could sit there for days and still be full, but if you squish it it'll all come out in seconds.

Ive put the CYA in a skimmer sock and placed the sock in the skimmer and let the pump run. Takes about 2-3 hours and its completely gone.. Is this a good or bad idea?

Ive put the CYA in a skimmer sock and placed the sock in the skimmer and let the pump run. Takes about 2-3 hours and its completely gone.. Is this a good or bad idea?
You should be fine. You just don't want to put it directly into the skimmer without a sock. It can get stuck in your filter and then flushed out when you backwash. It's particularly heinous with a cartridge filter. If the CYA is of the more soluble type, it does disperse nicely.

Reactions: Frank in FL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.