Cutting the ties to Leslies, thanks to all that make this site work. Initial readings

gnuse

Apr 30, 2017
Norcross GA.
Received my TF-100 today...wife thought I thought it was Christmas.

Our pool looks good, I am just trying to get off to a good start for 2018.

4/18

1st test
CF = 2-4
PH = 7.2+
Fc =19 x .5= <10
Cc = 2 x .5= 1
Tc = Fc + Cc = 10.5
CH = 15 x 25 = 375
TA = 16 x 10= 160
CYA = 95

24000, IG, 48 DE - Pentair, Hayward Intelliflo pump,TFP 100 test kit....just purchased, built 1991, Hayward SWG, local water supply

Last edited:
You are off to a great start, no looking back now.

First off go into settings (upper right) and add your pool information into your "signature". Take a look at other signatures, (bottom of each post) to get an idea of the proper information to list.

Get familiar with Pool Math, (up top next to "Support TFP" :wink:) enter your pool and test information then play around with the calculator to learn it.

Prepare to become your pool expert, it's a wonderful thing.

Don't bother with the oto test, it's only useful for troubleshooting testing problems.

Don't bother tracking tc

Round up your cya to 100, and keep very good care of your pool, the cya will come down over a year but a 50% drain would be better, you should also do the diluted cya test to make sure your not over 100

Test your pH when the fc is under 10, but don't let it go under 10 that much as I think that's the minimum

Keep up the good work!

Interesting, I thought I had edited my "signature". I will head off to try again. Thanks.
You are off to a great start, no looking back now.

First off go into settings (upper right) and add your pool information into your "signature". Take a look at other signatures, (bottom of each post) to get an idea of the proper information to list.

Get familiar with Pool Math, (up top next to "Support TFP" :wink:) enter your pool and test information then play around with the calculator to learn it.

Prepare to become your pool expert, it's a wonderful thing.

Well, my signature has been saved, but for some reason it doesn't appear in my posts. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Week 2 with TF100 test kit......any advice?

Received my TF-100 today...wife thought I thought it was Christmas.

Our pool looks good, I am just trying to get off to a good start for 2018.

4/18

1st test
C = 2-4
PH = 7.2+
Fc =19 x .5= <10
Cc = 2 x .5= 1
Tc = Fc + Cc = 10.5
CH = 15 x 25 = 375
TA = 16 x 10= 160
CYA = 95

24000, IG, 48 DE - Pentair, Hayward Intelliflo pump,TFP 100 test kit....just purchased, built 1991, Hayward SWG, local water supply

Here are results a week later.
CF = 3-6
PH = 7.8
FC = 3
CC= .5
TC= 3.5
CH= 310
TA= 110
CYA= 95

We have had a lot of rain the last two days. I have added no chemicals, so would appreciate any advice. My SWG has been turned off due to my thinking the chlorine is high.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is CF?

Your chlorine is way too LOW. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

You should drain 10-20 percent, especially if it is raining (free water!) and get closer to 80. Or use a minimum of FC = 5.

CF is a typo. It is the chlorine reading from the Chlorine/PH test kit in the TF-100

- - - Updated - - -

Mr. Bruce beat em to it.....

CF????

FC too low & CYA too high.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

So, welcome to TFP!!

My CYA test ability is at the novice level, as I have only done it twice now. It actually might be a bit lower.

Hello and Welcome to TFP! great job getting a great test kit.

Assume your CYA is correct for now. Your chlorine level is too low based on your CYA level. You need to add some liquid chlorine (bleach) to get your FC to 7ppm. Dial in your SWG % and run time so that chlorine never gets below 5ppm. You want to get off to a good start, but your tempting that algae to get a foothold with your low chlorine level. See the FC/CYA chart (linked above in post #9 and in my siggy)

if you are running the chlorine test that uses the powder (and you should be using that one) then you don't need to do the chlorine test with the yellow cap and the squarish tester (OTO test).

CF is a typo. It is the chlorine reading from the Chlorine/PH test kit in the TF-100
The day I put the pump back into use (but before the cover comes off) I use the OTO (yellow drop test) to make sure I have > 0 FC in the water. This is just to protect me from a surprise warm spell and to be ahead of the curve. The day the pool cover comes off, I switch to the FAS-DPD test to get a precise FC reading. Likewise, the day the pool cover goes back on (usually to keep the leaf assault at bay in the fall) I switch back to the OTO test until I decided it's cold enough to shut everything down for the winter.

I am only sharing this since we are in basically the same region with the same weather, and wanted to let you know you can save time and money by switching back and forth like that. Obviously if you want to do both every time (sanity check, letting the kids play, etc) there is no problem doing that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.