Curious about my layout and why it was done this way

getalegup

May 24, 2019
Austin, TX
So, I’ve got an 13 year old pool with almost as old equipment. I was hoping the forum members could help me understand the layout and what replacement or upgrade options are possible.
I’ll attach pics of my equipment.
First, in the longterm (2-3 years), I figure I will need to replace at least some parts of my equipment. I just replaced the capacitor on my main pump and will replace the seals soon. So, with my layout AND if the only the main pump fails, what are my options? I would like a pump that works with my various control panels. Does this restrict my choices to Hayward pumps? The previous owners of my house bought an expensive HAYWARD TriStar version? Was this a good choice?
Second, is it normal to have a secondary pump run my waterfall and Polaris? Are some of the new dual or variable speed pumps strong enough to run everything?
I have more questions but I thought I would start here.

Attachments

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
First, in the longterm (2-3 years), I figure I will need to replace at least some parts of my equipment. I just replaced the capacitor on my main pump and will replace the seals soon. So, with my layout AND if the only the main pump fails, what are my options?
You have an older Jandy RS6 automation panel with your Hayward pumps. The Jandy RS6 can control any manufactures single speed or dual speed pumps using its relays.

I would like a pump that works with my various control panels. Does this restrict my choices to Hayward pumps?
You can use any single speed or dual speed pump connected to the RS6. Or you can use any VS pump that would be continuously powered and controlled by the control panel on the VS pump.

Confirm that your TriStar pump is running on 240V and not 120V?

The previous owners of my house bought an expensive HAYWARD TriStar version? Was this a good choice?
TriStar is a fine single speed pump. Today many people install dual speed or variable speed pumps that will save alot of electricity compared to running the TriStar pump at 3450 rpm.

Second, is it normal to have a secondary pump run my waterfall and Polaris? Are some of the new dual or variable speed pumps strong enough to run everything?
Yes, you want separate pumps to power your pressure cleaner and water fall. The Water fall should use a low head pump while the TriStar is a high head pump.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
G,

Here is how I see your current set up from a very basic position..

Your single speed TriStar main pool pump sucks water from your main drain, and your two skimmers... The water is then pushed through a relatively small cartridge filter and then then passed to an Automated valve that either sends the water back to your pool or to your waterfall.. This automated valve has nothing to do with your cleaner.. In fact, if the waterfall is on, the cleaner is not going to work, or at least not too well.

The small booster pump is what makes your pressure side cleaner work.. The booster pump takes some the water going back to the pool and add pressure to it and that pressurized water is what makes your Polaris work.

Since your two pumps are single speed pumps, any single speed pump can be used, it does not have to be a Hayward pump. If you want a single speed pump, then the TriStar is a great pump. I personally like variable speed or at least a 2 speed pump to save on electricity, but if you think the TriStar is "expensive" than looking at a VS pump will give you sticker shock.. :mrgreen:

I am not up on Hayward automation, so I can't comment on it.

You have a pretty standard equipment pad set up.. If this were my pool, I would only open the main drain valve about 10% and would leave the far skimmer open 100% and then adjust the near skimmer so that both skimmer seem to have about the same amount of suction.

How do you currently chlorinate your pool?

Thanks,

Jim R.

sktn77a

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
If you do end up getting a 2 speed pump, just make sure that the Polaris pump is wired/controlled such that it only comes on when the main pump is on high speed.