You are balanced. -.3 to .3 is the range that is preached here. So I stay in that 0 to -.3 range to prevent scale buildup. I always try to remain there. They say going a little out of that above range is ok for a short amount of time. They use this range here cause it’s a safe range. The range is actually -.6 to .6 but it’s more sketchy how it was explained to me. As long as you are in the above range you are balanced. But if the .3 to 0 range you might get scale so that’s why I choose to stay on the negative side. Trying to remain at 0 would be almost impossible. I pretty much move from -.3 to 0 due to ph rise. Once I hit 7.9-8.0 I knock my ph down to 7.6. That keeps me in my -.3 to 0 range. So you can see I’m not sitting at a certain range for more than a day. I add acid every 7 days right now.

Your numbers for a non salt pool looks good. Did u test salt cause even with no salt you still get some buildup with chlorine adding. It might be as high as 800 which should touch your csi but very very little.

Also remember that pH and water temp are two factors that really impact CSI quickly. Play around with PoolMath and you'll see if the pH was more around 7.7, your CSI would look much different. In addition, if the water temp was more in the upper 80s, the CSI would look even more different (higher). Just something to keep an eye on as your season progresses.

If MA is for Massachusetts then you really don’t need to bother with CSI much, your primarily parameters are more important and yours look good. CSI is a mathematical equation based on the primary parameters, it is an indication of the chances (probability) of calcium carbonate dissolving or precipitating. 0 is at equilibrium with a low chance of either, it’s nice to keep an eye on it and to see how it is affected by the primary parameters but I wouldn’t go chasing my tail over it.

I have read that on here also regarding the northern area like where I live also but why is that? What is the reason is up here don’t have to worry about it? Doesn’t make sense to me? It’s so easy to keep in check anyway so to me I worry about it cause pool up north that are plaster are also more to build up here bs down south where they are so common so I believe anything I can do to protect my plaster the better.

With a plaster pool, I would always check the CSI, but if the individual pieces are within range, odds are the CSI is fine.

I think up there there is generally a low likelihood for the CSI to get too high because you get a lot of rain and likely partially drain for the winter, so the CH does not build up like in the SW. But, there is still a need to make sure the CSI is not too low which can damage your plaster ... this is a more real possibility as the CH may drop a lot due to the rain, etc.

with our temp varying so much csi is more important i feel up here. i totally hear you about the CH also cause i know mine can vary cause of winter and refills. mine was 350 at close and at open 175.

but temp is all over the place here. my pool was not above 70 till this past week when it hit 79 but the next morning it was down to 71 again cause of the huge temp swing we had. and as we know temp and ph play a large part in csi so i'm with you jb that it is still, i feel, very important. and yes as long as everything else in check then that csi will be pretty well balanced but again i can't run a 7.2-7.5 ph like is allowed or my csi would be in the crapper. i have to keep it in 7.6-8.0 with how my temps have been to stay in range. that's based on TA and CH in check and salt on the 3400-3600 range.

csi is impt i feel regardless of location.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.