Hillsborough, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
After about 15 years of using liquid chlorine, I finally got a IC-40 SWG and already love it! Now that I have a SWG I want to make sure I prolong the life of the cell plates.

Can I assume that since the CSI is in the negative range and because I have a vinyl liner, I don't need to be concerned with the cell plates on the SWG? Only if the CSI was in the high positive range would I need to be concerned.
  • I have never been concerned with CSI because I have a vinyl liner and always had a high negative index due to having low CH levels (I do not add CH) and current levels are in the 40 - 50 range.
  • I already maintain the proper levels according to the TFP recommendations.

The main concern with CSI and a salt water generator is going to be calcium scale on the cells. Seeing your calcium level is rather low this isn't a large concern for yourself. Continue to maintain the pool as you were and enjoy the reduced workload. Just don't forget to bump your CYA level up somewhat next Summer. :)

Reactions: jgofnj
The main concern with CSI and a salt water generator is going to be calcium scale on the cells. Seeing your calcium level is rather low this isn't a large concern for yourself. Continue to maintain the pool as you were and enjoy the reduced workload. Just don't forget to bump your CYA level up somewhat next Summer. :)
Thanks! That is my plan. I will be closing my pool in a few weeks up here in the NJ. When I open in the Spring, I will bump up the CYA to 70.

Can I assume that since the CSI is in the negative range and because I have a vinyl liner, I don't need to be concerned with the cell plates on the SWG? Only if the CSI was in the high positive range would I need to be concerned.

With your TA and CH you should be fine.

But no, you cannot assume that simply because your CSI is in the negative range you will not get scale on the SWG plates. The problem is, INSIDE the cell, the CSI is very different than in bulk pool water.

Read TA - Further Reading

Reactions: Oly and jgofnj
With your TA and CH you should be fine.

But no, you cannot assume that simply because your CSI is in the negative range you will not get scale on the SWG plates. The problem is, INSIDE the cell, the CSI is very different than in bulk pool water.

Read TA - Further Reading
Thanks, will take note and read the link. My TA is generally on the lower end of the range, but I will keep an eye on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.