Critique My Startup Test Results and Plan

Jul 18, 2018
Austin TX
Below are my first test results about 3 days after complete fill.

FC 3
PH 6.5
TA 30
CH 250
CYA 10-15

I did go SWG but with the cooler water temps I am planning on bleach until I start up the SWG. The builder added tabs for now. I am thinking I can use those and still add about a gallon of liquid CYA, which according to pool math should get me to about 40. According the the chart with 40 CYA I should bump up to about 5 FC. Is that a safe number for a new pool? Builder left some liquid chlorine so that will be used first.

Any additional Chlorine needs as the tabs dissolve will be handled with liquid bleach until SWG. Should I go ahead and add salt now or wait for SWG startup?

Biuilder and conventional wisdom says PH will rise as the plaster cures. Should I add Borax or give it a few days and retest? Can also run the bubbler and sheer to add some aeration.

Pool math says about 10 lbs of baking soda will get my TA to 80, which is a number i got from the NPT startup pdf. Does that sound good?

CH target according to Pool Math is 250-350 but NPT says not to go over 200 the first month. Should I lower or am I ok?

Lastly, the builder said to keep the pump on high 24/7 for 2 full weeks then high for 8 hours a day for the first 2 months or so. Does that sound right? Heater will not be used for first month.

THANK YOU!!!

Bring your pH up into the low 7's with 20 Mule Team Borax and keep it there through testing 2-3 times weekly.

Bring your TA up with baking soda. I would suggest up to 60 ppm.

CH is fine where it is. You have a lot of leeway.

CYA to 40 is a good number as is chlorine in between 3-5 roughly

Did your builder mention brushing your pool?? Most important.....daily is maybe a little excessive but not by much. Pump run time is higher than I would do but it is harmless to do it.

Importantly, Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. You need to understand WHY you are making these changes, what are the suggested ranges, and the problems with going outside those ranges.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.